Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pros and cons of WMLs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I highly recommend the Thyrm Switchback for handheld lights. They definitely help with activating the light while improving your grip on the pistol.

https://thyrm.com/product-category/switchback/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    As a civilian, why would you have a pistol drawn in public if there wasn't an immediate threat? I don't think anyone is advocating using your pistol light to just check things out. And if there is an active threat that justifies the use of deadly force, i highly doubt you're gonna get slapped with Aggravated Assault charge for having a drawn pistol.
    Again.. I don't run a pistol mounted light because it doesn't work for me. But... suppose I did and I'm in a parking lot at night and some idiot approaches at a quick pace. If my light was on my gun and I shined it to the possible threat, but he was actually just speeding over to pick up a coupon he dropped.... there's a possible problem.

Conversely.. Cops draw their guns on people that my be guilty of nothing all the time. So I don't know how to reconcile that piece of the law.

(Pistol mounted lights suck bad because if you have to shoot, there's a cloud of smoke reflecting the light back at you and you can't see shit. That's a big problem if something has happened to where you ARE shooting.)
    Last edited by markm; 11-23-22 at 13:18.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Again.. I don't run a pistol mounted light because it doesn't work for me. But... suppose I did and I'm in a parking lot at night and some idiot approaches at a quick pace. If my light was on my gun and I shined it to the possible threat, but he was actually just speeding over to pick up a coupon he dropped.... there's a possible problem.

Conversely.. Cops draw their guns on people that my be guilty of nothing all the time. So I don't know how to reconcile that piece of the law.

(Pistol mounted lights suck bad because if you have to shoot, there's a cloud of smoke reflecting the light back at you and you can't see shit. That's a big problem if something has happened to where you ARE shooting.)
    No one is saying a handheld doesn’t have a place in everyday life. I’m of the mindset that you need both. You’re scenario is an example of why you should have both.

What if you noticed a baseball bat in this persons hand. What if he starts shouting profanities at you. The wml wins in this situation. Even if it’s a big misunderstanding and a no shoot, you can easily articulate to LEO as to why you thought drawing your pistol would be justified. And honestly, from this imagery persons prospective, they will likely have no idea the light you’re shining at them is attached to a gun. If there’s other people around, well you may have a problem.

Now as far a smoke obscuring your view, shoot and move. Light on, light off. If you’re stationary doing a mag dump at a bad guy, you’re doing it wrong. I’ve only ever found this to be a problem when shooting a rifle prone.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Now as far a smoke obscuring your view, shoot and move. Light on, light off. If you’re stationary doing a mag dump at a bad guy, you’re doing it wrong. I’ve only ever found this to be a problem when shooting a rifle prone.
    Absolutely. The smoke will force you to move. And yeah.... multiple lights are not a bad idea too. We can "what if?" these things to death. Like what if you're pinned in your door jamb and can't move? The amount of "low light" etc...

The other thing is... weapon lights add significant bulk for every day carry. And now a lot of guys are going to RDS too. I'm guilty of not wanting to carry a massive load out to run a quick errand for sure. A S&W shield and an a hand held are often it for me. Salute to those who carry to the max.
    Last edited by markm; 11-23-22 at 13:49.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    With all due respect, the possible problem is you drawing your gun on a guy just walking towards you in a parking lot (who, according to your analogy has no weapon and has made no threats). Someone just walking towards you quickly with zero other indicators of ill intent should rarely, if ever, justify you immediately drawing your pistol on them. We may just be on different pages in that regard.

I've done a fair amount of pistol shooting with a light in low light and no-light, both indoors and outdoors, and haven't ever experience a blinding cloud of smoke reflecting my light back at me. Is that really a thing? Maybe it's the ammo you're using? I've literally never heard of that before now.

How people use lights is personal, so if a handheld works better for you that's awesome. Personally, i much prefer a weapon mounted light if i have to engage, and I use a pocket flashlight for everything else. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by B Cart; 11-23-22 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I've done a fair amount of pistol shooting with a light in low light and no-light, both indoors and outdoors, and haven't ever experience a blinding cloud of smoke reflecting my light back at me. Is that really a thing? Maybe it's the ammo you're using? I've literally never heard of that before now.
    I've never shot a pistol mounted light at a target in the dark where the smoke wasn't a significant problem after the very first shot. This is in REALLY low light on square ranges with standard ball ammo.

I've never shot my Gold Dots in this setting, but I can't imagine it being significantly better. With carbine, the blast seems to launch further down range and is only mildly distracting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Add: I've only shot training with 40 S&W in a Glock G22. I wonder if the issue is caliber specific or worse with that round.

Feedback Score
    Add: I've only shot training with 40 S&W in a Glock G22. I wonder if the issue is caliber specific or worse with that round.
    Could be, makes me want to get out tonight and see if my memory is just bad. I just don't ever remember that being an issue, but it's been about 6 months since i've done low/no-light training.

What light was it with? I wonder if it's a lumen/candela thing too, maybe too many lumens magnifies the effect? Be interesting to test

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ammunition, temperature and humidity all play a roll. It will be a factor even with a handheld, unless you’re using the FBI technique. Light on shoot. Light off move. That’s what’s taught to survive a nighttime gunfight. That should be done even if there was no smoke created by firing. It’s main benefit is you no are longer a light emitting target. It’s secondary benefit is your not shooting through a cloud of smoke.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would think the climate you live in would have more effect than ammo /gun.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast