Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorting Headstamps Matters

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sorting Headstamps Matters

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Are you a benchrester or bolt-gunner? You sure put a lot of work into brass segregation -- not a bad thing if you have the time and patience.

I shoot Bullseye Service Rifle, combat, and sniper sustainment training against E-type silhouettes.

I'll sort 5.56 and 7.62 brass by factory (LC, WCC, WRA, IMI, TAA, etc.) but not by year.

Since LC is my predominant brand. that goes to 200 and 300-yard loads, or stand-ins for All-Army training (69s, or 69 Tipped Match Kings). 600-yard 80-grain lots are all by the same stamp (typically Winchester commercial, IMI, etc.).

Civilian and odd stamps (Federal, R-P, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Creedmoor, Wolf, Prvi, Fiocchi) usually go to 55-grain blaster ammo.
    None of the above!

I don’t shoot competitively. I simply enjoy the challenge of trying to create the most accurate loads possible.

I may try service rifle in the near future as I will have more time in my hands.

I never used to sort beyond maker, exactly as you describe. Most of my “accuracy” loads use either Lapua or LC brass. Other head stamps I treat the same as you.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You sure put a lot of work into brass segregation -- not a bad thing if you have the time and patience.
    I've read guys report that they can tell which piece of brass in their batch is problematic. That's patience.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'm just a terrible shot, so it's about the journey......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12