Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red dot RMR, first time out!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I was a believer my first go around too. Nice shooting.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I was a believer my first go around too. Nice shooting.
    The proof is in the pudding and with the RDS, I shoot like I'm 21 again. But Man. It took me 10 or more shoots to warm up to the RDS. And I still don't have one of my own.

I think trying different guns and dots kinda slowed me getting used to it. But on the other hand I got to try a variety of set ups.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I love shooting odd/wild stuff with pistol. Long distance, One hand, Left hand, Left hand supported. The weirder the better as long as it's not a total waste of ammo.

I look at it like the skateboarders. If you learn a trick, learn it switch stance. With the dot, it's 90 percent mental. Put the dot on the target, and don't flinch the shot.
    Good outlook, coming from someone who used to dabble in skateboarding and has played his fair share of Tony Hawk Pro Skater games. Being able to consistently hit 50 yard steel standing on one foot with the pistol upside down and pressing the trigger with my pinky has really simplified my understanding of the core fundamentals of marksmanship. Sight picture, trigger press. Grip and stance can be wildly out of whack and the target can still get center punched. Fine tuning those things comes later when the marksmanship fundamentals are acquired and it’s time to improve recoil control and follow ups.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comm2679 View Post
    Good outlook, coming from someone who used to dabble in skateboarding and has played his fair share of Tony Hawk Pro Skater games. Being able to consistently hit 50 yard steel standing on one foot with the pistol upside down and pressing the trigger with my pinky has really simplified my understanding of the core fundamentals of marksmanship. Sight picture, trigger press. Grip and stance can be wildly out of whack and the target can still get center punched. Fine tuning those things comes later when the marksmanship fundamentals are acquired and it’s time to improve recoil control and follow ups.
    Never was a video gamer, but shooting challenging stuff like one hand/left hand, etc. make coming back to a full two hand pistol grip shot a piece of cake. The stretching of your abilities and getting out of your comfort zone definitely helps your confidence and ability.

So if you ever get into a serious defense situation, you don't choke, fall to pieces or fight with doubt and hesitation. I've shot with so many students and fellow shooters who might as well NOT carry. Zero chance they're ready to fight with a pistol. Even us dedicated shooters could get caught off guard and get behind the 8 ball at some point.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A fun challenge with friends is a game of H-O-R-S-E. Competitive, but without the pressure of the timer.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    A fun challenge with friends is a game of H-O-R-S-E. Competitive, but without the pressure of the timer.
    Even adding the timer to stuff it good. Shoot! I was trying to shoot the Dickens drill left hand only with the timer. (didn't get the minimum hits though)

Honestly, I wouldn't be shooting pistol at all if it weren't for PB making me strap on a battle belt and do it. I run 50 rounds at most per year through my carry gun.
    Last edited by markm; 11-30-22 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Once you get good with a dot, it will go on all your carry guns in all likelihood. Best thing is you can do very productive practice just drawing and finding the dot and sight picture with no ammo in your living room. Which is the biggest challenge transitioning to a dot.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Truth.

I have a Dot Torture on the wall opposite my desk at office.
    I dry fire the drill (as possible) a few times each morning.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbdesigns View Post
    Nice.
    I’m transitioning all my pistols to dots. My 57 yr old eye’s simply cannot focus on the front sight. With a dot, i look through it and focus on the target. I like that. I’ll Practice dry fire at home to get better at getting the dot from holster. Thats my only worry, the speed to first acquire the dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can still do that with a fiber optic front. I have always focused on the target and let the front sight blur. It's the way I've shot archery for 40 years, and the way I started shooting pistols a long time ago. Blurry front sight centered on a blurry rear sight, with target focus. Seems weird to most folks, but it has always worked for me.

BUT.. I can do the same thing with a RDS and be more accurate at distance with the pistols I've borrowed. It's a win/win, but like MarkM I haven't jumped on the ship yet. Mostly due to the daunting cost of upgrading my pistols when I feel that I am more than competent with what I already own.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You can still do that with a fiber optic front. I have always focused on the target and let the front sight blur. It's the way I've shot archery for 40 years, and the way I started shooting pistols a long time ago. Blurry front sight centered on a blurry rear sight, with target focus. Seems weird to most folks, but it has always worked for me.

BUT.. I can do the same thing with a RDS and be more accurate at distance with the pistols I've borrowed. It's a win/win, but like MarkM I haven't jumped on the ship yet. Mostly due to the daunting cost of upgrading my pistols when I feel that I am more than competent with what I already own.
    I do like those fiber optic front sight except that they're generally fragile compared to a solid steel sight. (subject to smashing)

As far as dot upgrade, I'm a weird gun guy who really has ONE 20 year old (Glock) main pistol and a Shield for pocket carry. If I did an RDS, it would be for one gun only to replace the old Glock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12