Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What barrel for a 223 bolt gun?

Feedback Score

What barrel for a 223 bolt gun?

I've been wanting an accurate long range 223 bolt gun for a while now. I have a CZ 527 in 223 but its a 12" twist which limits the bullets.

So Black Friday bit me. ARC Nucleus action, MDT XRS stock, TriggerTech Special 2 stage are inbound. I have a Vortex Razor LHT FFP 4.5x22 on hand.

The Nucleus uses the Savage small shank threads which makes it easy for me to spin the barrel on myself. The question is whose barrel do I go with and what length and contour?

Bartlein, Criterion, Krieger, McGowan, and Shaw all have options but it'll have to be a custom order. Lead times and prices vary, but I'm thinking quicker is better. Any of these makers to avoid?

Thinking 223 Wylde chamber, 24"-26" length, and a taper or Palma profile ending close to .800" at the muzzle. Have a 1000 Nosler 77 HPBT to play with in the stash. Mostly a range toy.

I know I should have saved a chunk of change by following pappabear's lead with the Tikka T3x, but have a Tikka TacA1 that reaches past a 1000. Wanted something "different".

Any input appreciated.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm partial to the Krieger barrels. Not that I've had a ton of experience with the others. I'd go at least 24". Longer if you can stand it. And a suppressor is the icing on the cake with a 223 bolt gun.

I don't know the names of their profiles. But the Tikka's profile is pretty sweet. A hog, but not too heavy where it's unusual.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is somewhat beyond my experience and you have very specific requirements. The first thought that popped into my mind would be to check to see if Bergarra makes something that fits your needs. Mark offered the goto alternative.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Depending on your tools & skills. I have a buddy that shoots/builds his own rifles & has used these guys for a few builds and he is very happy with the results. Maybe worth a check. I did not snoop around or look at the stock on hand but worth a look I think.
    https://northlandshooterssupply.com/ And for commercial BBLs with a wait you can't go wrong with Krieger that's for sure. You can send them your action and they will install & do all that you need,,only takes time & $$$.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm partial to the Krieger barrels. Not that I've had a ton of experience with the others. I'd go at least 24". Longer if you can stand it. And a suppressor is the icing on the cake with a 223 bolt gun.

I don't know the names of their profiles. But the Tikka's profile is pretty sweet. A hog, but not too heavy where it's unusual.
    My experience with two Krieger barrels has been excellent. A friend put a Bartlein on his build and it's a shooter. All of them shoot under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    This is somewhat beyond my experience and you have very specific requirements. The first thought that popped into my mind would be to check to see if Bergarra makes something that fits your needs. Mark offered the goto alternative.
    Believe me. If Bergara had the answer, PB would have bought it.

The sweet feature (in all of this) is the Rem 700 will take the Magpul mag that loads and feeds long (2.47" or more) 80 gr ammo. The long barrel 223 for us, nets the biggest velocity gains with 69 gr bullets. But shooting the heavies are attractive with a long barrel too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Bartlein or Krieger dominate all my custom guns. I don’t think you need the super heavy barrel that I do prefer for my big caliber guns. I think the Rem700 and or Tikka 223
    “Varmint” barrel. I think the term varmint is a generic term for anything other than a regular hunting or sporting barrel but not 100% on that.

I’ve had good luck buying barrels from Southern Precision aka Bugholes.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Bartlein or Krieger dominate all my custom guns. I don’t think you need the super heavy barrel that I do prefer for my big caliber guns. I think the Rem700 and or Tikka 223
    “Varmint” barrel. I think the term varmint is a generic term for anything other than a regular hunting or sporting barrel but not 100% on that.

I’ve had good luck buying barrels from Southern Precision aka Bugholes.

PB
    I've been looking at Bugholes. Is there any real advantage to using their Bugnut, or is it a cosmetic thing (flats vs slots)? I notice they say they have to machine the threads differently.

What barrel diameter at the muzzle would you end up with? It will be threaded to accommodate my suppressor.

The only "hard" requirements I have are fit the Nucleus action, work with high BC bullets for range, and be threaded.

The action will eventually have a larger caliber barrel, it is easy to swap barrels with just wrenches on this action.
    Basically a range toy, so weight isn't an issue. My CZ527 covers the woods gun role and those ranges.
    The 223 Wylde chamber isn't hard either, standard 223 is an option. Just reads to be accurate and accommodate long loadings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Depending on your tools & skills. I have a buddy that shoots/builds his own rifles & has used these guys for a few builds and he is very happy with the results. Maybe worth a check. I did not snoop around or look at the stock on hand but worth a look I think.
    https://northlandshooterssupply.com/ And for commercial BBLs with a wait you can't go wrong with Krieger that's for sure. You can send them your action and they will install & do all that you need,,only takes time & $$$.
    I've been looking here as well. They offer Criterion and Shilen barrels.
    I noticed that Shilen offers both 6 groove conventional rifling and their own "4-groove Rachet Rifling". Is the 4-groove similar in performance to the "5R" rifling? Has your buddy used that?

Trying to avoid ordering the barrel until after the action arrives.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-wayman View Post
    I've been looking here as well. They offer Criterion and Shilen barrels.
    I noticed that Shilen offers both 6 groove conventional rifling and their own "4-groove Rachet Rifling". Is the 4-groove similar in performance to the "5R" rifling? Has your buddy used that?

Trying to avoid ordering the barrel until after the action arrives.
    I'll hit him up and see what he says, give me a day or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast