Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Registering or Buying an SBR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    First, I was saying you cannot buy just an SBR lower from a dealer. An SBR is a RIFLE with a BARREL under 16”, not a lower that was registered.

Second, the guy who wrote that article doesn’t know what he is talking about. If you paid the tax on your SBR you can change whatever you want and tell nobody. It is illegal to possess an SBR without the tax, if you change the caliber you still possess an SBR that has paid the tax. Nothing in the law requires you to update any length or caliber change.

That's not entirely true......

I purchased a FACTORY BCM SBR/REGISTERED lower from G&R Tactical YEARS ago (2008-2010??). It was advertised and sold as "SBR LOWER".

Haven't seen one since though...
    SHOOT MORE -POST LESS!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dues View Post

I purchased a FACTORY BCM SBR/REGISTERED lower from G&R Tactical YEARS ago (2008-2010??). It was advertised and sold as "SBR LOWER".

AU sells stand alone factory SBR lowers from time to time.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The stamp is on the Lower. So I guess you could buy an SBR lower. Makes no sense though because you could register your own lower and have it in possession while the bureaucracy grinds slow.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The stamp is on the Lower. So I guess you could buy an SBR lower. Makes no sense though because you could register your own lower and have it in possession while the bureaucracy grinds slow.
    The other advantage of starting with a stripped receiver, or any receiver sold as a "receiver" on the 4473, is that it didn't start life as a "rifle." Allowing you to go back and forth between pistol and rifle at will.

I have a registered lower that was initially built out as a pistol and, based on my interpretation of the ATF's rulings, allows me to reconfigure it as a pistol when traveling out of state. You enjoy no such advantage if you start off with an SBR lower.
    Last edited by georgeib; 12-06-22 at 09:48.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    The other advantage of starting with a stripped receiver, or any receiver sold as a "receiver" on the 4473, is that it didn't start life as a "rifle." Allowing you to go back and forth between pistol and rifle at will.

I have a registered lower that was initially built out as a pistol and, based on my interpretation of the ATF's rulings, allows me to reconfigure it as a pistol when traveling out of state. You enjoy no such advantage if you start off with an SBR lower.
    Once it is registered though, don't you have to notify the ATF that you are traveling with it anyway?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Once it is registered though, don't you have to notify the ATF that you are traveling with it anyway?
    Not as I understand it. Kinda like those guys that, for some reason, want to "un-register" an SBR. They don't have to do anything other than reconfigure it to rifle status. However, some people actively have ATF remove the NFA status of the gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Yes, you have to fill out a 5320.20 and file it for approval. IF you maintain it in NFA format, that is. The ATF has already stated that if you remove the features that make an SBR an SBR, you can take it out of state without doing the form 20. The specific example they use is putting a 16" barrel on the SBR lower, thus converting from an SBR to a Title 1 firearm, and no longer necessitating the form 20 to cross state lines.

To me, it seems obvious that removing the stock from the receiver extension and replacing it with a pistol brace accomplishes the same thing. I mean, think about this for a sec. If you have an AR pistol, and you install a stock in place of the pistol brace, what have you just done? Create an (unregistered) SBR, right? So, clearly the ATF agrees that the presence of a stock creates a rifle, and if that is true then so is the converse.
    Last edited by georgeib; 12-06-22 at 10:14.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dues View Post

And lowers used to be sold as a “rifle” and not “other”.

Almost everyone (dealers) understands this now. If you read the actual law you will not find any mention of a registered receiver.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    AU sells stand alone factory SBR lowers from time to time.
    I have purchased one. All the paper work says it has an 11.5” barrel. It’s a colt 6933 lower.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I have purchased one. All the paper work says it has an 11.5” barrel. It’s a colt 6933 lower.
    Makes sense. A lot of money was made parting out Complete Colt guns in the past. Tragic.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast