Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Registering or Buying an SBR

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Or those responsible for ATF forms…
    True. But after you get your stamp, no one cares anymore. At least here in AZ. SBRs and Suppressors are so common, no one raises an eyebrow.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The simple reason that I prefer factory SBR's is that they hold their value better and they're sellable. Form 1 SBR's are much more difficult to sell than a factory SBR. Of course the price of the guns comes in to play. If you can buy a factory SBR for the same or a little more than the pistol version of the same gun, then get the factory SBR. On the other hand, if the factory SBR is hundreds more than the pistol version, then it's not worth the extra dough. Yes, the wait for a factory SBR sucks. On the other hand, not having to engrave and do conversion work to convert a gun to an SBR is nice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Registering or Buying an SBR

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    So, you are missing it.
    Nope… you are.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/rifl...rm-subject-nfa

A rifle is subject to the NFA only if the rifle has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-...tering-firearm

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.
    Last edited by Screwball; 12-08-22 at 15:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    True. But after you get your stamp, no one cares anymore. At least here in AZ. SBRs and Suppressors are so common, no one raises an eyebrow.
    ..... and the Govt now has your item on their list. It has little to do with the item itself, it has everything to do with Govt keeping tabs on firearms. Even FedEx and UPS now colludes with Govt to help Govt make a list of gun related sales and shipments.

I still don't get SBR. Just make the item a pistol per 4999 (when or if the FTA rules actually go into effect). NFA is 1) stupid, and 2) no reason to pay $200 for a "rifle" that is less than 16" barrel. Sure, if you want extra furniture and stuff, by all means, pay $200 to have access to your 2A rights.

Feedback Score
    Neither of those have anything to do with "SBR".

It's not possible to say make an 80% AR std rifle and then go to SBR w/o stamp. Hence, there is no way to go from stamped SBR back to std rifle just by using 16"+ barrel. Once it is stamped as SBR, it's a SBR.

It is possible to make a pistol and then go to std rifle, but you could not go from pistol to SBR w/o the stamp. Other than paying $200 to keep furniture on the <16", skip SBR stamp, make pistol, then you can go between pistol and std rifle w/o NFA BS.

Feedback Score
    A rifle is subject to the NFA only if the rifle has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
    Here are the steps:

1) std rifle
    2) I slap on a 14" barrel
    3) ooops, that's now a SBR per NFA and USC verbiage
    4) to be legal, my SBR now needs a stamp, pay up
    5) my receiver ("the firearm") is now a registered SBR
    6) I take off 14" and put on 20", does not matter what barrel is on that "firearm", receiver ("firearm") is still a registered SBR, barrel does not change the classification of that NFA item

It's just how it works, NFA is BS, and it traps items under NFA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    Neither of those have anything to do with "SBR".
    You realize SBRs were made under the NFA, right?

If I SBR an AR, I have zero issue crossing state lines if I push pin in a 16” upper without an ATF-5320.20. You want to argue that, go ahead. Having an FFL as well as NFA items… I’ll take my chances following the cited laws/regulations.

You are also completely contradicting yourself, especially bringing up ATF-4999. You realize the entire subject that worksheet was created is stating that pistols with braces are implied to be SBRs. ATF specifically says if it doesn’t meet that form… remove the brace, file Form 1 as SBR or put a 16” barrel on it. Your own logic… we put a 16” barrel on an AR pistols to get compliance, you are still in possession of an unregistered SBR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The registry is just a way to keep track of who paid taxes for what.

There is a legal definition for SBR that I quoted, and “receiver that was registered” isn’t in there.

Feedback Score
    You better be good little boy scouts now and beware of those rule nazis.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The registry is just a way to keep track of who paid taxes for what.

There is a legal definition for SBR that I quoted, and “receiver that was registered” isn’t in there.
    I think you are misunderstanding all of it.

A "SBR" (the receiver) is the "firearm". There is no need to call it out as a "receiver". A "SBR" that has a stamp, needs no barrel and will reamain a "SBR" NFA item w/ or w/o any barrel attached. Traveling around with just the "SBR" (receiver only, the firearm) is traveling around with an NFA item.

Example #2
    If you take off supressor end cap and remove all the internals, you are left with what is essentially a linear fwd comp, linear comps are not subject to NFA rules, but what you are left with is still an NFA item.
    Last edited by DwayneZ; 12-09-22 at 09:46.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast