Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CDC says Firearms are the Leading Cause of Death for Children

Feedback Score
    Even if taken at face value, then what? Ban guns, automobiles, and any form of water deeper than half an inch?

Reducing motor vehicle deaths is very complex. It is the subject of a multifaceted campaign involving vehicle design and construction, road design and construction, public outreach and law enforcement. They study and address root causes. They attack contributing factors. They hold people (and corporations) responsible for their own misdeeds. They DO NOT ban cars.

Me: "Hmm. Maybe we should look at and address gun deaths in a similar way."

Them: "No! Ban all evil guns."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have the drug companies develop a Vaccine for this.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Well, until anyone can cite any data to refute it, you can call bullshit all you want and that's no better than sticking your tongue out and crying "nanny nanny boo boo."

These statistics are raw numbers: All types (homicides, suicides, accidental, etc.), all demographics, all geographics. But we know once you start diving into the numbers the data skews: urban centers, specific ethnicities, specific age range (I bet it's not 5 year-olds making the bulk of those numbers), etc.

The other frustration I have is the CDC does not include any deaths of any children under 1 because that population has specific, non-age adjusted pathologies. OK, fine, but if you want to do that, then make age-adjusted COD for ethnicities, age groups, and locations and let the data fall where it may.

I would also say the overall number isn't that high relative to total number of guns: 5.6/100,000 children with > 300,000,000 guns. So if there are 276,000,000 vehicles the percentage of children who die from auto deaths (roughly 4.6/100,000) is higher than those who die from firearms.

Ain't statistics fun??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm willing to hold gun laws with the same reverance Democrats use with voting laws at this point.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Where was the CDC on abortion.. out of curiosit? I don't recall them clamoring about that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Where was the CDC on abortion.. out of curiosit? I don't recall them clamoring about that.
    I 'think' (obviously cannot prove) that's one reason they wont report data for under 1 YO. Abortion makes their numbers messy. And in 100% of the cases, it would be death by infanticide (homicide).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are roughly 625,00 abortions a year in the US... so even if the BS CDC stat was true (which I doubt), it would still be small potatoes for child death stats.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    There are roughly 625,00 abortions a year in the US... so even if the BS CDC stat was true (which I doubt), it would still be small potatoes for child death stats.
    Is that 62,500, or 625,000? Either would be a significant number for the <1 age range (which they exclude).

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Where does the CDC say this? I can’t find it anywhere on their website, and the claim would conflict with the data provided on their pages on “firearms”, “violence”, and “mortality”.

I’m calling bullshit. I don’t believe the stat, and I don’t believe the CDC reported it. I do know the kernel of truth that was twisted, though.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Where does the CDC say this? I can’t find it anywhere on their website, and the claim would conflict with the data provided on their pages on “firearms”, “violence”, and “mortality”.

I’m calling bullshit. I don’t believe the stat, and I don’t believe the CDC reported it. I do know the kernel of truth that was twisted, though.
    There's a link to a CDC reference at the end: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2201761

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast