Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing the thickness of a loose Radian barrel nut?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm not familiar with radian. Is there some kind of fastener that will tighten up the handguard and remove the play??
    Its similar to MI.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Press fits are a pain in the ass. But they are not what we are talking about here. They are just another way of selling parts of loose tolerances. Everything is just sized tight.

We’re talking about matching the over diameter of the barrel but to the inside diameter of the rail. We’re taking about a what should be .001” size difference with a +/- .001” tolerance. This is easily achievable by high quality American manufacturing. You need sharp tooling and the right machine speed. That’s it.

There is an alternative if you want to run production faster and sloppier at the mediocre standard of +/- .005” and thats to hand match nuts to rails. You can honestly send out a perfect match this way, but you lose interchangeability.

Sounds like the op just got a sloppy fit from a loose tolerance call out. MarkM was correct to call it American mediocrity.
    I get what your saying. Radian is sending me another barrel nut to see if it fits any tighter but they said they measure each one at the factory so it probably won’t be any different fit wise. I was told the differences in tightness are the result if variations in the coating thickness of the Cerakote on the inside of the rail.

If the new nut doesn’t fit better, I guess I’ll just spray it with a coat or two of Alumahyde 2 which should increase the thickness just enough to get a press fit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Its similar to MI.
    It isn’t actually. There is no relief groove cut on the bottom of the rail to allow the bolts to squeeze the rail around the barrel nut. It’s actually more similar to the Geissele system but with 4 vertical cross bolts instead of two on the bottom.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leicafan1990 View Post
    It isn’t actually. There is no relief groove cut on the bottom of the rail to allow the bolts to squeeze the rail around the barrel nut. It’s actually more similar to the Geissele system but with 4 vertical cross bolts instead of two on the bottom.
    Neat, I haven’t seen that model.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What happens when you tighten it down to spec?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What happens when you tighten it down to spec?
    I suspect he doesn't know. He is all over the place asking the same questions and getting the same answers.

Feedback Score
    The rail eventually locks up but not until I get pretty close to the torque spec of 40in/lbs. I’m not concerned about it as much as I was before but the manual describes a press fit between the rail and barrel nut and what I got wasn’t close to a press fit. I think it’s a reasonable concern to have, especially considering the fact that the rail design doesn’t use any kind of wedge system like a Wedgelock, CMT or SLR rail. It’s much more similar to the Geissele rail which is just bolts compressing the metal extrusion to lock everything up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12