Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next gen combat optics

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Next gen combat optics

First thoughts/concerns are size,weight, and reliability, but that was a concern with early optics too no doubt. That's a lot of electronics to hope does not die in the field, but resistance to added to complexity is not always a bad thing. I know for myself, not an early adopter of tech, hence why I just got my first RDS on a pistol. Still, cool factor 10:

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Beats training soldiers to shoot at distance! Just charge the taxpayers $20k a piece to bolt a mail box on a pic rail.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If reliable. You can't beat it. To be able to instantly and accurately put shots on target while reducing human error in stressful combat situations. It gives an unfair advantage to the pushed through basic training masses.

The ammo savings alone it will pay for itself.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    According to the The Army Almanac for WWII, "Its mission was to provide ground force units properly organized, trained and equipped for combat operations." About 4,400,000 personnel were part of the Army Ground Forces during the war. They sustained about 80% of U.S. Army casualties.
    4,400,000 infantrymen. Let's say half were equipped with M1 rifles, so 2,200,000.

A single $20,000 optic per each (if we were to have the time to recruit, equip, train, and deploy just United States Army infantry (exclusive of Marines) for WWIII is $4.4 Billion -- before the first rifle, sling, magazines, and cleaning kit.

Let's be realistic. Today's US Army is about 460,000 troops, and about 15% are in line infantry units (not counting the training base and others in recruiting, teaching, etc.).

"U.S. Marine Corps - 23,376 infantry in 24 Marine infantry battalions and U.S. Army - 54,983 infantry in 79 Army infantry battalions."

54,983 x .50 (half equipped with rifles) would be 27,942. At $20K apiece that's still $55.88 Million just in whiz-bang scopes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Next gen combat optics

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    4,400,000 infantrymen. Let's say half were equipped with M1 rifles, so 2,200,000.

A single $20,000 optic per each (if we were to have the time to recruit, equip, train, and deploy just United States Army infantry (exclusive of Marines) for WWIII is $4.4 Billion -- before the first rifle, sling, magazines, and cleaning kit.
    Extremely valid point, but hey, we just put it on the credit card.

Heck haven’t we given more than that away already to Ukraine?

All that crap looks like it will get humped about 10 feet before some slob gets tired of the weight and tosses it in the ditch.

The ammo weighs more, the rifle weighs more and I guarantee you the mailbox weighs more than an acog or light 1-6x costing 1/200th as much.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-30-22 at 15:04.

Feedback Score
    I mean, nobody seems to balk at the announcement to spend $200B on 100 new B-21 Spirit Stealth bombers. Outside of a nuclear conflict, how much impact will those bombers really add to the average modern day battlefield?

Not advocating for or against this scope, but we spend a metric sh*tload more money on other military tech, and nobody complains. Having competed for many years in long range precision matches, i'm all for proper training, vs just the next whiz bang scope, but if they can offer a legit advantage, why not keep innovating?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I mean, nobody seems to balk at the announcement to spend $200B on 100 new B-21 Spirit Stealth bombers. Outside of a nuclear conflict, how much impact will those bombers really add to the average modern day battlefield?

Not advocating for or against this scope, but we spend a metric sh*tload more money on other military tech, and nobody complains. Having competed for many years in long range precision matches, i'm all for proper training, vs just the next whiz bang scope, but if they can offer a legit advantage, why not keep innovating?
    Conventional Air support.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Let's be realistic. Today's US Army is about 460,000 troops, and about 15% are in line infantry units (not counting the training base and others in recruiting, teaching, etc.).

"U.S. Marine Corps - 23,376 infantry in 24 Marine infantry battalions and U.S. Army - 54,983 infantry in 79 Army infantry battalions."

54,983 x .50 (half equipped with rifles) would be 27,942. At $20K apiece that's still $55.88 Million just in whiz-bang scopes.
    That’s nothing but a rounding error to todays Pentagon. They’re wasting a hundred times that renaming bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Send a few to Ukraine for some practical testing.

Feedback Score
    This is why I'm trying to get a job with Vortex, because I want to bring my dog to work and they seem to be going places
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast