Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A1 stock on an A2 build question

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

A1 stock on an A2 build question

I’ve been assembling clones of my service rifles and I’m finally on my last one, an M16A2, the rifle I used in basic and then during the Invasion of Iraq.

I have an irrational hatred for the A2 stock likely stemming from its LOP. I’m considering mounting an ACOG on this rifle’s carry handle but it won’t be fun to use if I’m fighting the LOP.

So, will I run into any issues using an A1 stock? Is the interval cylinder housing the buffer and spring the same between the two stocks? If not, what do I need to do in order to run the A1 stock?

Many Thanks!
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It will work fine.

Depending on the kit, you may need to source hardware. The screw that goes into the buffer tube is shorter than the A2.

Spring and buffer are the same. The LOP makes a big difference.

Feedback Score
    IMHO your dislike of the A2 LOP is not irrational. I'm 6'-2" and find it too long wearing just a T-shirt, add body armor / web gear / more clothing - forget it.

As 1168 pointed out it works fine, just make certain to get the correct A1 screw so you don't end up with the longer A2 screw protruding inside the receiver extension - that could be ugly.

FWIW A1 / A2 butt plates interchange pretty well also.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Receiver extension is the same, a spacer is used for the A2, hence the longer buttstock screw.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.cavmfg.com/C1-Buttstock-C1.htm

They have complete kits if you need the buffer tube and guts.The A1 feels much better than the A2 in my opinion too.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Awesome. Thank you, Gentlemen.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That cav stock is weak. I've tried many ways to get A1 stock LOP, and have had to just go with Surplus M16 stocks. The Cav stock I can twist and move when it's mounted. And the area where the screw touches isn't solid enough to really crank the stock tight. I even tried using an A2 butt plate on cav's shitty stock, and it didn't align good enough. Plus you can literally squeeze the stock with your hand and compress it. Cheap hollow crap.

For light use it's ok, but I can't have that on my guns.
    Last edited by markm; 02-07-23 at 08:30.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That cav stock is weak. I've tried many ways to get A1 stock LOP, and have had to just go with Surplus M16 stocks. The Cav stock I can twist and move when it's mounted. And the area where the screw touches isn't solid enough to really crank the stock tight. I even tried using an A2 butt plate on cav's shitty stock, and it didn't align good enough. Plus you can literally squeeze the stock with your hand and compress it. Cheap hollow crap.

For light use it's ok, but I can't have that on my guns.
    Real ones here.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...6-2/stocks-m16

I will say my Cav stock doesn’t feel anything like you said. It doesn’t twist or squeeze and no alignment problems. It does feel lighter than an original stock probably due to the different material and completely hollow design. I have had mine for a long time and wonder if they have changed something in the process. I was planning on buying a few more, but if it’s changed then I will just go original.

Thanks.
    Last edited by john armond; 02-07-23 at 08:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The buffer tube is the same. You must use an A1 length screw and remove the A2 spacer.

Here you can see the A2 length screw and the spacer it goes through.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-a2std-223/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The screw for the sling loop on each is different too.

Buttplates interchange though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast