Thread: SIG Romeo 4T comparison

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SIG Romeo 4T comparison

I've done some research on the interwebz comparing the SIG R4t vs. a micro Aimpoint but it's most fluff stuff. I have an Aimpoint Comp M4 that's awesome but I'm looking for a smaller, lighter RDS for a future build. The SIGs come at an attractive price so I'm looking hard. Still, Aimpoint is a go to for me. I prefer not to buy chinese so Holosun is out.

SO I'm looking for the pros/cons on the Romeo 4T, any known issues? What would keep someone from buying one over an Aimpoint besides cost?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sig dots are Chinese aren't they?

Either way, Cost is it. Aimpoints value to me is roughly half of their price on their models. I need a 30mm sight, but the PRO is a $200 value that costs over $400. The chinese alternatives are the same... worth about half their price to me.
    Last edited by markm; 12-07-22 at 08:45.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sig dots are Chinese aren't they?

Either way, Cost is it. Aimpoints value to me is roughly half of their price on their models. I need a 30mm sight, but the PRO is a $200 value that costs over $400. The chinese alternatives are the same... worth about half their price to me.
    Some SIGs are chinese, some are not. My understanding is that the Romeo 4T is not chinese, assembled in USA from parts not from PRC ?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Some SIGs are chinese, some are not. My understanding is that the Romeo 4T is not chinese, assembled in USA from parts not from PRC ?
    Interesting. I didn't know that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I bought one a few years ago. My initial, and ongoing, impression was that it was a rebranded Holosun. Chinese knockoffs of any product tend to roughly mimic things, but they don’t necessarily understand what they are mimicking, or why. Good examples are an antenna without the wire inside, or the pistol that Forgotten Weapons made a video on that had rando shit engraved on it. Because the illiterate (in English) dude that made it understood that guns have numbers and words on them, but didn’t know what they are. In the Romeo 4t, this was demonstrated by its shiny gloss black finish. They knew an optic has to be black, but not why. The killflash was also glossy, and had a cheap feel to it. It seemed to be included because their market research was looking at “frequently bought together” on Amazon. Just my subjective notes on its external appearance.

It shares an awful lot of features with Holosun, for a not-Holosun. Basically every feature. Multi-Reticle, Shake Awake, Solar, Auto-Sleep. These features are important to Holosun and their purchasers. They provide brand recognition, and are marketed as the reason you should buy one. Are they not protected by patents and trademarks? How was Sig legally able to reproduce them without licensing, or straight up being a rebranded Holosun?

The box says that the product is “designed by Sig Sauer in Oregon assembled in USA” deliberately avoiding saying where it was manufactured.

Anyhow, mine failed to wake up twice, both times in the rain. I don’t actually know if the rain was relevent. I deemed it unfit for a working gun and replaced it with a T2.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I bought one a few years ago. My initial, and ongoing, impression was that it was a rebranded Holosun. Chinese knockoffs of any product tend to roughly mimic things, but they don’t necessarily understand what they are mimicking, or why. Good examples are an antenna without the wire inside, or the pistol that Forgotten Weapons made a video on that had rando shit engraved on it. Because the illiterate (in English) dude that made it understood that guns have numbers and words on them, but didn’t know what they are. In the Romeo 4t, this was demonstrated by its shiny gloss black finish. They knew an optic has to be black, but not why. The killflash was also glossy, and had a cheap feel to it. It seemed to be included because their market research was looking at “frequently bought together” on Amazon. Just my subjective notes on its external appearance.

It shares an awful lot of features with Holosun, for a not-Holosun. Basically every feature. Multi-Reticle, Shake Awake, Solar, Auto-Sleep. These features are important to Holosun and their purchasers. They provide brand recognition, and are marketed as the reason you should buy one. Are they not protected by patents and trademarks? How was Sig legally able to reproduce them without licensing, or straight up being a rebranded Holosun?

The box says that the product is “designed by Sig Sauer in Oregon assembled in USA” deliberately avoiding saying where it was manufactured.

Anyhow, mine failed to wake up twice, both times in the rain. I don’t actually know if the rain was relevent. I deemed it unfit for a working gun and replaced it with a T2.
    I agree with everything said. I bought a few Romeo 4t when they were under $400 since I had a Sig MCX and MPX that needed optics. I have a third one living on a B&T APC9. They're certainly related to the Holosun designs, to the point of reticles, features, buttons, solar cell and aluminum housings are recognizably identical. The older Romeos were labelled Made in China with the Romeo 4M Assembled in USA. You can see some areas that Sig provided engineering feedback, such as the more robust mount, which they needed to meet contract requirements.

I think Sig paid for the Holosun IP and is now assembling/manufacturing some optics in Oregon with imported components; you can't deny the similarities to Holosun red dots. Sig Electro Optics was a company that was created by Sig to compete in that market space and they were jumpstarted by sourcing designs from other companies. In the earlier years, you could see ten different versions of Tango 6 scopes, Romeo 4 dots and so on. They won some Army contracts with the current Tango scopes, but they are still the JV team when compared to the likes of Nightforce or Aimpoint.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 12-07-22 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good info, 1168.

Not that the OP asked, but the Romeo 5 on the other hand has been almost indistinguishable from an Aimpoint RDS in practical function and durability. We're running several. Mine is on a Geissele mount and does not have the same characteristics as my Holosun beater RDS. (no motion on, etc)