Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition Seating Dies for .223

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Competition Seating Dies for .223

I love the competition seating dies mainly for quick adjustments when changing bullets for .223

I ran the Forster for years and often had problems with it sticking. I thought it was a burr or something on the part that springs off of the shell holder, but after finally getting sick of it, I tore it apart and found the seating stem had split/bulged out and was all scratched up from grinding inside the die. So that thing is trashed.

After running the plain old Dillon seating die for a month, I can't take it anymore. I ordred the Redding version which is a little more money. Anyone use this die or have a wonderful alternative?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use them exclusively for all rifle calibers for the very same reason you state.

I use mainly Hornady dies for cranking out pistol rounds, but Redding dies with the micrometer seating die for everything rifle.

Love them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Any sticky issues with Redding? I used to have to jam a rubber coated pliers handle up in the Forster to break it loose.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Competition Seating Dies for .223

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Any sticky issues with Redding? I used to have to jam a rubber coated pliers handle up in the Forster to break it loose.
    Nope, never had an issue with any of mine.

They’re darned precise too. One thou on a micrometer is one thou on the die. Makes it super simple to change bullet sizes and seating depths quickly and accurately.

I never note which bullet I seated last, so I back it out a couple of turns on the first round and work it down to where I need it on the first round loaded.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I read a review this week on my old die (Forster which echoed my pains) Seating depth swings of .005" and sticking. I always assumed the depth swings were the starting loads when the stations weren't all under load on the Dillon and/or bullet meplat variances.

In any case, I'm glad to hear your happy with the Redding. Mine will be here next week.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When Forster's seating die patent expired Redding copied it.

You could always send it back to Forster for repair and overhaul. I'm seldom disappointed with their stuff. I've sold most of my Redding dies.

Redding's customer serviced has pissed me off terribly enough times I don't know if I'll ever buy anything else from them except repair parts.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The only issues I've had with Forster or Redding micrometer seated has been inconsistent seating with VLD-type bullets due the long olive. Redding makes a VLD-specific seating stem and Forster will ground your existing stem to fit. A couple of my dies are on their way to Forster as we speak for this service

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    When Forster's seating die patent expired Redding copied it.

You could always send it back to Forster for repair and overhaul. I'm seldom disappointed with their stuff. I've sold most of my Redding dies.

Redding's customer serviced has pissed me off terribly enough times I don't know if I'll ever buy anything else from them except repair parts.
    I hadn't thought of contacting Forster. In fairness, I ran the piss out of that die on the dillon and can't complain about the wear out. I can only guess there's at least 30k rounds on that thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    my favorite seating dies are the RCBS competition set. They have a window for placing the bullet which helps keep it aligned while seating the bullet. The redding and forster have a very similar sleeve, but i like the way RCBS does it a little better.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The seating stem on my Redding does not fit long ogive bullets very well, it does the job but you'll know for sure if the brass isn't annealed or the neck tension is too tight. It is way too thin to modify with my limited skills and I'm simply too lazy to try and find a replacement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast