Thread: Thermal hog hunt video. 15 hogs down

Feedback Score

Thermal hog hunt video. 15 hogs down

Finally got everything back set up to make videos again. Went out in Wallis, Tx and spied this group of hogs in a cut down rice field. There were 3 of us, but my buddy decided to hunt with his new .308 SBR that doesn’t have an adjustable gas block yet. So his gun went out of service after his first shot. So aside from the 3,2,1, shots there were 2 of us shooting. We recovered 15, and my buddy said they found 3 more the next day. Hope y’all enjoy the video, and I hope to be makin more to come.

https://youtu.be/GfAyDE704ck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Lot of fun. Love watching Thermal Hog hunts.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's always interesting to see the lead required, always more than I think it should have been. Thermals I've worked with (few, only a little, and not great ones) have a million features-- that no one needs. I note that PRS shooters making amazing shots at 1500Y-plus don't have a compass, incline-o-meter, nor 8 different reticule options, and somehow they get by. Dear thermal optics-makin' outfits, dump that crap and put the money into resolution or just lower the price. Most are so GD over complicated, if you don't work with it at least every couple weeks, it's like, "now, what do I do first again...?"

Tell us about your setup ammo, etc. At 0:50, is that birds getting spooked by the hog, or is that hog parts?

Damn...... you want to make some money? Don't shoot them, catch them and take orders on M4C to "release them in my area"! I joked with my neighbor the farmer about doing that with prairie dogs and he did not like the idea at all.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    It's always interesting to see the lead required, always more than I think it should have been. Thermals I've worked with (few, only a little, and not great ones) have a million features-- that no one needs. I note that PRS shooters making amazing shots at 1500Y-plus don't have a compass, incline-o-meter, nor 8 different reticule options, and somehow they get by. Dear thermal optics-makin' outfits, dump that crap and put the money into resolution or just lower the price. Most are so GD over complicated, if you don't work with it at least every couple weeks, it's like, "now, what do I do first again...?"

Tell us about your setup ammo, etc. At 0:50, is that birds getting spooked by the hog, or is that hog parts?

Damn...... you want to make some money? Don't shoot them, catch them and take orders on M4C to "release them in my area"! I joked with my neighbor the farmer about doing that with prairie dogs and he did not like the idea at all.....
    Lol thank you, and yes I mostly agree about all the extra bells and whistles. I don’t need 27 color palettes, 43 reticles, and a friendly wake up call included with the scope. Internal recording, and a 7+ hr rechargeable battery though, yeah I’ll take those.

It’s a 16” .308 on hush mode. I’m shooting Norma 150 gr soft points (not their “white tail” marketed soft points).

And I’m not sure which part you’re referring to, but there were birds flying away in the field when the hogs ran by, and also som hog parts flying off from the piglets at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    “Tell us about your setup ammo, etc. At 0:50, is that birds getting spooked by the hog, or is that hog parts?“

Looks like mud flying from a missed shot. Most rice fields stay wet around here. They are either growing rice or crawfish pending the time of the year.

Watched it again, back to looking like birds.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-01-23 at 10:13.