Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ode to the 14.5 SOCOM FSB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ode to the 14.5 SOCOM FSB

With all the ARs in the corral (including suppressed setups), lately my two favorites have been the MMC and BCM 14.5 SOCOMs.

TA01NSN and Aimpoint Comp M3:

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My 14.5 Colt/BCM hybrid with ACOG is my GP gun. If I'm outside, there is a good chance its with me. Very effective, very solid weapons. They might not be perfect for every mission, but it works well for most.

ETA:

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I’ve wanted one for years to chop to 10.3, put a carry handle and MOE handguard on, and then suppress. I don’t even know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    My 14.5 Colt/BCM hybrid with ACOG is my GP gun.
    We have these steel targets from 100-500 and the 200-300 are head shot size. The SOCOM/ACOG combo with good ammo spanks them every weekend and that's the reason I love that gun so much. 69s, 77s, the SOCOM loves them all and they track good with the reticle. It's pure heaven.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    With all the ARs in the corral (including suppressed setups), lately my two favorites have been the MMC and BCM 14.5 SOCOMs.

TA01NSN and Aimpoint Comp M3:

I’ve built and experimented with many setups, and I keep circling back to a M4A1 FSP type carbine for general use. I like to set mine up with a KAC FF RAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    My 14.5 Colt/BCM hybrid with ACOG is my GP gun. If I'm outside, there is a good chance its with me. Very effective, very solid weapons. They might not be perfect for every mission, but it works well for most.

ETA:

Stick I love that setup with the RAS II.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 12-06-22 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My only problem is that I have AAC cans which are BOAT ANCHORS and too heavy to run on a heavy SOCOM barrel. If I find a YHM turbo K can locally, I'm on it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We have these steel targets from 100-500 and the 200-300 are head shot size. The SOCOM/ACOG combo with good ammo spanks them every weekend and that's the reason I love that gun so much. 69s, 77s, the SOCOM loves them all and they track good with the reticle. It's pure heaven.
    At what ranges with the TA01 you were getting those, specifically the head shot sized ones? NVM, I see they were at 200-300m.

If a regular ACOG reticle (although I have a TA31 not the NSN) will deliver 77gr to ~ POA at 300m that is a good thing.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 12-07-22 at 18:03.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    At what ranges with the TA01 you were getting those, specifically the head shot sized ones? NVM, I see they were at 200-300m.

If a regular ACOG reticle (although I have a TA31 not the NSN) will deliver 77gr to ~ POA at 300m that is a good thing.
    There's half IPSC size steel from 100-175. At 200, 250, and 300 there the hex shaped 7 or 8" steel we call head shots. At 400 we're back to a full size IPSC.

The nerves start in that middle range with the "head shots" because there's no mounds behind to call you own misses if you mess up. Almost always with the ACOG, I can tip toe right through them cleanly.

Feedback Score
    I have a home build with a Colt SOCOM barrel Centurion two piece rail with a TA02. It does everything that I could ask it to do in a small package, 9lb 4 oz loaded. It’ll keep up with a similar set up 20” upper. Although I think that for the type of shooting that I do the TA01 would probably work just as well as the TA02.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-08-22 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have a home build with a Colt SOCOM barrel Centurion two piece rail with a TA02. It does everything that I could ask it to do in a small package, 9lb 4 oz loaded. It’ll keep up with a similar set up 20” upper. Although I think that for the type of shooting that I do the TA01 would probably work just as well as the TA02.
    I have the following 14.5” SOCOM barrels from BCM, Colt, FNMI, Remington, and MMC, and all are solid performers. They are hands down my favorite barrel and very accurate to boot. Lately I also have been shooting my MMC and my BCM.
    Last edited by veeklog; 12-08-22 at 14:01.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast