Thread: Powder lot variation

Feedback Score

Powder lot variation

Any anecdotes on actual experiences with powder lot variation? I have enough cfe223 from 3 different lots to load 1000 rounds of same lot bullets/primers. I know some who don't care, some who just mix powders together, and others who do independent load workups for any component of different lot.

So, any real life stories of same powder of different lots as would relate to charge, pressures, trajectory/velocity, accuracy, function, etc with otherwise same lot components?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I used to poo poo powder lot changes as pretentious nonsense from reloading divas and internet echo chamber of dogma. But I've had 2 lot changes with Varget where the velocity dropped a little. I've had over 100 fps swing on IMR 4064 in .308 ammo (same batch loaded same day on same scale).

Most recently I had an H322 lot change that would have almost been a wash had I not adjusted my powder measure to match the prior load weight. I turned the powder measure lower, but lost the velocity that would have been their if I just left the charge higher.

As far as ball powder goes however... I have not chrono'd any lot changes because as I got that deep into handloading, I mostly quit using any ball powder. I only have a little TAC and a small amount of H335 on hand. I'm not sure if the issue is any better/worse with ball powders.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yeah. I've experienced VOLUME differences in lots of powder (rifle and pistol) to make same velocity.
    This becomes an issue with powder drop systems like Dillon. Not too big a deal with "range" ammo, but is problematic with precision/LR ammo.
    I chrono new powder lots if I'm loading LR/precision ammo and use Chargemaster rather than volume drop.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Yeah. I've experienced VOLUME differences in lots of powder.
    Now that you emphasize "volume", I wonder what my biggest swing (IMR 4064) would have been based on volume. It's a long cut extruded so straight weight was the comparison due to the Chargemaster metering the powder.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Sounds like I figgered. Do a workup for serious ammo. I'll just use the 1/2 lb (that makes my thou) for foulers and bottles and cans.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've definitely done blending of lots in the past when I've had more than one at once. I label the containers so I know when I'm out of a blend.

Last H322 lot we bought had 20 one lb jugs so that's enough in itself to run without blending with other powder.