Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt M4A1 SOCOM Barrel Accuracy: Another Look

Feedback Score

Colt M4A1 SOCOM Barrel Accuracy: Another Look

Colt M4A1 SOCOM Barrel Accuracy: Another Look

In 2010, I posted one of the first publicly available, in-depth accuracy evaluations of a Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel. At that time, the Colt SOCOM barrel was relatively new to the civilian market. Many people, including myself, were pleasantly surprised by the level of accuracy/precision that I obtained with the SOCOM barrel; particularly since it is a chrome-lined, NATO chambered “military-grade” barrel. Since that time, the Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel has developed a significant appreciation amongst AR-15 enthusiasts.

The M4A1 SOCOM barrel

More recently, I assembled another upper receiver group based on the Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel. This new build features a Colt cage-code marked M4 upper receiver, a Colt “C” marked bolt carrier group and a 13” Geissele MK14 M-LOK free-float hand-guard.

A genuine Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel is 14.5” long and has a medium contour; it is not an HBAR. The barrel has a 5.56mm NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist.

Colt SOCOM barrel

Colt HBAR

A genuine SOCOM barrel has the typical M4 circumferential cut-out located approximately 1.4” forward of the gas block for the attachment of an M203 grenade launcher, as well as rectangular shaped cut-outs underneath the hand-guards on the port and starboard sides of the barrel, located approximately 1.4” aft of the gas block, for the same reason. The gas port on a genuine SOCOM barrel has a diameter of 0.062” and the barrel employs a carbine-length gas system.

The SOCOM barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 14 ounces. That is only 2 ounces heavier than the ubiquitous 16” government profile barrel found on the Colt 6920.

Colt SOCOM barrel

Colt 6920 barrel

The stripped weight of the SOCOM barrel is 5 ounces heavier than the stripped weight of the standard Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. The pic below shows the difference between the standard M4 barrel and the SOCOM barrel. From the gas block journal forward, the two barrels are identical

SOCOM barrel on top, standard barrel on bottom

The next pic is a close-up comparing the two barrels in the area between the chamber and the gas block journal, showing you where the extra weight is added.

The date-code on my original SOCOM barrel was “11/03” and the date-code on my newer SOCOM barrel is “02/18”

My original SOCOM barrel had an “F-marked” front sight base. Colt no longer stamps an “F” on their front sight bases, but their newer front sight bases maintain the length of 1.98” from the top of the barrel to the shelf for the front sight post.

My original SOCOM barrel was stamped:

“C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7”

The newer SOCOM barrel is stamped with Colt’s cage code.

“13629 M P 5.56 NATO 1/7”

Both of these SOCOM barrels have the “O” stamp near the chamber portion of the barrel. Naturally, the M4A1 SOCOM barrel has M4 feed ramps.

Accuracy Conmparison

In 2010, my original SOCOM barrel with the “11/03” date-code produced a 10-shot group fired from a distance of 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.90”. That group was fired from my bench-rest set-up using match-grade hand-loads and a high magnification scope.

My newer SOCOM barrel with the “02/18” date-code produced a 10-shot group fired from a distance of 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.93”. This group was fired off of sand-bags using match-grade hand-loads and a high magnification scope.

. . . .
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Put me down as one of the folks surprised at the accuracy displayed in your original testing. It honestly made me reconsider everything I "knew" about issued small arms built by the lowest bidder.

I appreciated your original evaluation and appreciate the update. Its nice to see Colt still knows how to build a barrel.

Andy

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    One of my “grab this one” carbines has a SOCOM barreled upper with Kahles LPVO.

Appreciate your effort Molon. I’ve never achieved your degree of accuracy/precision from mine, but I’ve never used dialed in handloads nor High Mag. Scope.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm a sucker for a SOCOM barrel. My Minniesmachine and BCM are my go to guns. I see them pop up in EE, but some goofball has either chopped the FSB, permed the Flash hider or Both.

I shoot my SOCOM with TA01NSN from 100-600 yards every weekend as a ritual.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If the SOCOM barrel was an actual HBAR profile instead of a medium contour, do you think that would make any appreciable difference in overall accuracy and/or durability?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm a sucker for a SOCOM barrel. My Minniesmachine and BCM are my go to guns. I see them pop up in EE, but some goofball has either chopped the FSB, permed the Flash hider or Both.

I shoot my SOCOM with TA01NSN from 100-600 yards every weekend as a ritual.
    Bought my MMC SOCOM based on your comments here...

Definitely owe you a few beers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    If the SOCOM barrel was an actual HBAR profile instead of a medium contour, do you think that would make any appreciable difference in overall accuracy and/or durability?
    Not really an 'apples to more heavy apples' comparison as the barrel length and twist rates are not the same between them.

The profile alone is not the only difference there...

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Thanks for the post Molon! It’s amazing how consistently precise these barrels are. Makes me want to build another!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Bought my MMC SOCOM based on your comments here...

Definitely owe you a few beers.
    I shot it yesterday. It's literally my favorite AR. Goes out every weekend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've posted this in a similar thread on TOS, but it's probably worth sharing here too. First of all, Colt SOCOM barrels are the Jam! I've had 4 or 5 of them, all with shaved FSB's under Geissele rails. The combo just works! The first couple had TA11 ACOG's on them; one with a horseshoe, the other with a chevron. Here are 10 shot 100yd groups from those:

I rearranged a bunch of things and these are my current starters. One is a 14.5" Colt SOCOM with a Nightforce NX8 and the other is an 11.5 Colt HRT with a TA01NSN and a piggybacked RM06. I had the NX8 with the RM06 piggybacked on the 11.5, but it was pigish with the can (m4-2000) and I never made good use of the NX8, only really ever going up to 4X with it. ACOG's have great glass and if you're only going to use 4X, may as well make it a smaller, lighter, and cheaper 4X. I moved the NX8 over to this 14.5, which was wearing a T2, and put it in a 1.93 height NF Ultramount. That taller mount really made the optic come alive for me. All of a sudden I had less trouble getting behind in in 8X and on 1X it really became red dot fast whereas before it felt slow, hence I had the RMR piggybacked.

This newest iteration (and a different barrel than the others pictured above) still shoots lights out. This is 10rds at 100yds with the NX8 on 8X (the center dot is 1.25MOA) with Hornady 75gr Match. I pulled one round just a little bit and saw it in the scope. Still, an impressive performer.

Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast