Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Land Cruiser might be making a comeback to the US

Feedback Score

The Land Cruiser might be making a comeback to the US

Interesting news out of Toyota recently, and I remember that this board was interested in the lack of the Land Cruiser nameplate in the US

According to Motor Trend, the sales chief for Toyota Motor North America has hinted about a comeback.

“Will we ever? I would say likely yes,” Jack Hollis, the sales chief for Toyota Motor North America, told Motor Trend.

However the high-ranking executive declined to give a timeline and said that information would have to wait.

The following article and discussion at TFL on Youtube give a good overview of possibilities.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/the-to...he-usa-report/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG1SL2rA7VM
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Just saw that and had watched the TFL video. Lot’s of conjecture, but it sure seems like the Toyota guy said it was coming back. I do like the idea of a third Toyota “brand”- Toyota itself, Lexus for luxury, and “Land Cruiser” for true(er) off road vehicles.

Lexus/Toyota must see the number of GX SUVs out there that people butch up for 4x4 stuff. And Lexus IS definately going urban with that fugly front end style.

Maybe that is why the 4Runner has been so delayed (among other things). Use that to launch the third wheel in 2024 and then bring the real Land Crusier in 2025 or so.

I’m still in line for an Ineos Grenadier. Sat in the early production model here in CO late summer. They have video of them coming off the production line and people have seen them being shipped on car-carrier trucks in the EU. We still won’t see them until late 2024, and I’ll probably have to put up or shut up mid summer.

My thoughts have been that they’ll screw with the 4Runner and bitch-i-fy it, but a Land Cruiser, now you have my attention.

My son wants me to get a 392 Wrangler…. My daughter is going to need a car, and she was initially interested in the new VW Bus, but she says it is ugly. Now she is thinking a Jeep or maybe a Bronco. Girl needs to figure out left turns first. Glad she has about a year on her permit before she can get her license….

Didn’t Grant get a sweet black LC a few years ago?
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 12-07-22 at 14:25.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hopefully it comes back at $85k minimum so no one who actually gets dirty will enjoy it!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I’m still in line for an Ineos Grenadier. Sat in the early production model here in CO late summer. They have video of them coming off the production line and people have seen them being shipped on car-carrier trucks in the EU. We still won’t see them until late 2024, and I’ll probably have to put up or shut up mid summer.
    Thats f*ing cool, never heard of them before can I ask a ballpark on my much they cost?

I'm looking to get rid of my 16 Sierra, which has been decent but it is out of warranty, and every GM owner has told me that they are great, so long as they are under a warranty. I have been looking at a Suburban/ Tahoe but actually got a line on a 14 LX570 with only 130k miles for a decent price, but its going to need work and I don't know if I have the bandwidth right now to get it where I want.
    Last edited by Hank6046; 12-07-22 at 14:45. Reason: Clarification
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It would be cool if we could get the same ones ss the rest of the world.
    But we never get the good ones or what I would want.

I'll just keep making do with my 91 FJ80

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An auto engineer who has his own YT channel usually makes pretty accurate guesses is thinking that it might not be the full LC 300 that comes here. He is thinking it would make more sense that they bring the new LC Prado which the US has never got - we got the Lexus GX. We already have the LX600 for a few thousand dollars more. It doesn't make sense to compete with it and that is why the LC didn't sell too well here. The Prado makes more sense because it already being redesigned and should have a nice, new rugged look to compete in it's own price gap. Probably somewhere above or below the Sequoia.

He is surmising that this might be the reason why Toyota keeps pushing the 4Runner redesign back.

Sounds like a good theory.

The Grand Highlander will be out soon too.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-07-22 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Thats f*ing cool, never heard of them before can I ask a ballpark on my much they cost?

I'm looking to get rid of my 16 Sierra, which has been decent but it is out of warranty, and every GM owner has told me that they are great, so long as they are under a warranty. I have been looking at a Suburban/ Tahoe but actually got a line on a 14 LX570 with only 130k miles for a decent price, but its going to need work and I don't know if I have the bandwidth right now to get it where I want.
    Not sure on cost, probably find out the price next March or so. Hard to tell from EU/UK/AUS prices, but somewhere between a 4RUnner and a G-wagon? Big range. I think it will be under $100k. Have to see how options affect it, because I want as few options (electronics) as I can get. We’ll get at least a year of overseas use before mine would show up. Kind of off the shelf engine/transmission/drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    An auto engineer who has his own YT channel usually makes pretty accurate guesses is thinking that it might not be the full LC 300 that comes here. He is thinking it would make more sense that they bring the new LC Prado which the US has never got - we got the Lexus GX. We already have the LX600 for a few thousand dollars more. It doesn't make sense to compete with it and that is why the LC didn't sell too well here. The Prado makes more sense because it already being redesigned and should have a nice, new rugged look to compete in it's own price gap. Probably somewhere above or below the Sequoia.

He is surmising that this might be the reason why Toyota keeps pushing the 4Runner redesign back.

Sounds like a good theory.

The Grand Highlander will be out soon too.
    Toyota has a serious branding and positioning issue with their SUVs. Seems to me that Toyota should go against the GMC/Chevy Tahoe/suburbans (mass market 4x4). Lexus against the Caddy and BMW (Luxury). And a Land Cruiser brand against above Jeep to the G-wagon (“Serious” off-road capable).

Move the 4RUnner into Land Cruiser- though I bet they get some POC and use the 4RUnner name on it ala Jeep crap. So the LC brand would have an FJ to full size land crusier.

That way you can use hybrid and low-carbon engines for the Toyota and Lexus and real engines for the more niche Land Cruiser brand.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I told my wife that if we win the lottery, we're moving overseas so I can have a 70 series.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Please tell me its not some worthless turd electric or hybrid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    It would be cool if we could get the same ones ss the rest of the world.
    But we never get the good ones or what I would want.

I'll just keep making do with my 91 FJ80
    When I lived over in the middle east a buddy of mine had one and I actually liked it
    That was one of two Japanese vehicles I wished we could get here in the US.
    The other one one is the Hilux.

I am surprise that Nissan doesn't sell the Patrol here in the US to compete with Jeep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast