Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Land Cruiser might be making a comeback to the US

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Hopefully it comes back at $85k minimum so no one who actually gets dirty will enjoy it!
    FR. If I had the money, it'd be a G500, or a Range. Why do retired boomers keep driving up the price of slow and worn-out 30 y/o Toyotas they never use. Same could be said about 1/2 million dollar homes in the ghetto close to the freeway.

Feedback Score
    The story is that Mercedes wanted to kill the Gwagon so they kept on raising the price- and people kept on buying it- and then it was making so much money that they couldn’t kill it.

It may sound odd, but a G-wagon at $150k is ‘cheap’ when you consider the exotics that you might also be looking at - like a 911 GT3 or Panamera. You can have a multi-car wreck of just Range Rovers or X5s or Cayenne in my neighborhood. An X5 is literally the ‘staff car’ for my neighborhood. The carried interest or bonus didn’t work out this year and the GT3 has to wait? Console yourself with a G wagon that is actually fairly useful and won’t get you confused with the neighbors nanny dropping kids off at the country club for skating lessons.

I’ve made one bad financial decision in my life, and have bought nothing sensible cars and not a new car since 2003. I told my wife that I’m due for a ‘flyer’. And if the Ineos Grenadier works out like a 1993 NAS 110 Defender- awesome. If it is complete train wreck, it will look nice on the curb.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I keep thinking I want a nice, newer off-road capable SUV. But when I think of a $1000/month car payment I think I’ll just continue to drive my 2015 Xterra.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Hopefully it comes back at $85k minimum so no one who actually gets dirty will enjoy it!
    Jack Carr has blown the shit out of that hope thanks to his novels. Now every tattooed bro vet tactisexual will have one to drive to Walmart.

Feedback Score
    My parents had a late 90s Isuzu Trooper that I didn’t appreciate until they got rid of it. It was the model that was old as an Acura too. Bi fold back doors, high cieling for good vis, OK power, shift-on-the-fly 4x4. And it was the perfect size- bigger than the Jeep GRand Cherokee that I bought later, and smaller than a Tahoe- but with good storage. The back seat also reclined nicely. Wish I had bought it off them.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Please tell me its not some worthless turd electric or hybrid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I would bet there will be a hybrid similar to the new tundra.

Hybrids still make the most sense over pure electric and should be the near future for cars, EVs are…dumb.
    Last edited by Corse; 12-08-22 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    The ICE, Hybrid and EV are all interesting, from a technology and marketing perspective.

A plug in, or even self-powered, hybrid is pretty interesting from fuel savings to actual power put down. People want to push the ‘green’, but I think that they should call them ‘dual-fuel’ and show people how they can save money on gas by using electric. The issue is that the cars are more expensive and it takes awhile if not forever to make up the difference. The other angle would be in trucks where you coulld compare them to diesel-electric locomotives. I know not the same model of power, but the idea that if an ICE/E-engine is good enough for that heavy operation,…

I still think on the performance car side, the ultimate would be a hybrid with a high reving (9000+) I-6 small displacement engine driving the rear wheels, with a small battery packand electric motors driving the front wheels.

Cars like the Plaid on one hand an a CTS-V on the other are frankly too powerful and fast to enjoy outside of 5% of the time. Get something that makes thearatrics and noise at more normal speeds when you want, with Hybrid front power at low power demand to keep fuel economy up. And the ultimate performance with both systems running. The advantages of 4WD off the line, and also the ability to sculpt the road handling.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had two FJ55 wagons, spent a lot of time driving an FJ40, and co-owned an FJ80 with my son while he was at West point and ranger School.

While the last generation of Land cruisers sold in the US were still capable vehicles, they had already started chasing the luxury stuff almost to the point that only the axles and chassis share DNA with the original Land Cruisers.

While the running gear was not as tough, my FJ cruiser in spirit had a lot more in common with the original Land cruisers then the last Land cruiser sold in the US.

Our product any reintroduce Land cruiser will be chasing G wagon and Range Rover market and will be so expensive and scalped that it's almost meaningless.

To put it in perspective, one dealer locally had a G wagon for $125K, with an additional 120K market adjustment.

Just stupid.

Then again, Subaru forester's with the exact same configuration and miles as my 2020 are selling for more used than what I paid out the door knew even including taxes.

I routinely see people with $100k Jeeps, and the broncos are right up there.

Feedback Score
    Toyota could bring the 300 Series LC but it would have the same problem as the 200 Series: the Lexus LX600 costs only a smidge more. The Lexus LX has outsold the LC since inception.

Toyota has been steadily screwing up their trucks and body on frame SUV’s in the North American market. So I have tremendous confidence that whatever they do, it will be timed horribly, and not be the product we want.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Toyota has been steadily screwing up their trucks and body on frame SUV’s in the North American market. So I have tremendous confidence that whatever they do, it will be timed horribly, and not be the product we want.
    I can't remember if it was this year or next that they merge the running gear between the Tacoma and the Tundra. Which to me carried the worst attributes of both.

As to why boomers are buying up the land cruisers, it's because the FJ80s are drying up, and the FJ60s and FJ55s had real bad problems with rust in the A&B pillars.

So not as many survivors. I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen an FJ55 on the road. I do see some FJ60s, but a lot of them are rusty.

They will never make the 2F Land cruiser engine again due to emissions.

So any we get will be a gas hog V8 shared with the Lexus or some weird variant. Heaven forbid it's a V6.

I enjoyed the FJ cruiser the 2-3 years I had it. It was good off-road, but it was not a super strong drivetrain like the Land cruiser. And the 4.0 V6 was just okay.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast