Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CQB use of an ACOG

Feedback Score

CQB use of an ACOG

Specifically combat vets who have used it in that way. Asking this in the GD AR discussion as the ACOG was primarily developed for the AR system.

The TA31 has the BAC thing going on, and while a good long range optic, does it meet the need I ask about (as in can you hit shit reliably with it at CQB ranges)? Obviously an Aimpoint or an EOTech would be better for CQB but can the ACOG cut it?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It can work. I was never quite as good with it as a dot in CQB, especially an EoTech. Putting an RMR on top or an offset are big improvements, IMO. I think its still a viable option in 2022, but for a personal purchase its a bit expensive if CQB is a vital role.

I’ll try to remember to screw around with my VCOG on 4x a bit and get back to you.

Edit: VCOG on 4x is a poor analogue of an ACOG. They’re not really similar in CQB. I should have known that.
    Last edited by 1168; 12-09-22 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    Not optimal. Put an rds on top. Best of both worlds, light weight, and not really that expensive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The ACOG is more capable in CQB than many give it credit for. Training is key. If you were trying to decide what optic you'd like on your rifle, and you were looking for the best combination of useful in different roles while also being simple and durable, they're hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    Training is key.
    Yeah. It sucks any time we've tried it. I mean... you can get it to work, but it's weird. I can imagine you could get good at it if it was your dedicated set up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You have to keep both eyes open for it to be useful in CQB ranges. But it is doable.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have wanted an ACOG for years and am in a position to afford one now. I was seriously on the edge of ordering a TA33-C this week for a light GP AR. I am convinced they are just not the best solution in this day and age.

LPVOs are heavy and bulky but there are multiple quality 1-6, 1-8, and 1-10 scopes out there with 1X RDS speed plus useful magnification at the top end.

I am sure I am missing something, but an ACOG + RDS seems like it would be ridiculously bulky/tall and require a lot of range time to adjust to. You could also buy a very nice LPVO + mount for the same money.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Easy with a little practice. Of course point and shoot at what you consider close-in distances. Past that, just practice, practice, practice. No shooting, no nothing. If you need to, you can go Pew, Pew, Pew. To this day, weekly or so, I just pick up my 3.0 and simulate. You adapt very quickly. Low-No light takes a bit longer but no biggie. The only time I did a close target was spontaneous, no time to think. Perhaps 5 meters max. Seemed like minutes but really no more than a solid second. Gun was already shouldered and target just happened to pop up. Finger was on trigger, boom, done. Had it been one of those civilian police deals with shoot - don't shoot, it would have still been a shoot. Very startling. Anyhow, you can easily get proficient just by practicing outdoors, indoors, pick a target on tv, etc. Dry fire, no fire, live fire, etc. Simulating different lighting conditions is a must imo. But like any other shooting condition, if you can see the target then in theory you can successfully engage the target in most instances. Just takes practice to develop that visual muscle memory. A target magnified at 3x or higher at under 7-8 meters or so is not a natural look. The brain needs a little help. Practice.

Speaking of a truly pop-up target. My first armadillo kill. Had just built my house and was out front one night. I happened to detect movement along the foundation and saw it was an armadillo. Ran inside and grabbed my newish Glock 21 (.45acp). Shot it. Instantly the sob launched straight up scaring the dog poop out of me. Perhaps a tad higher than my waist, I just instinctively fired. Hit it and actually knocked it back about 2 feet. Had to laugh. I have since shot hundreds and never had one pop up like they do so in front of vehicles. Fastest double-tap I ever did.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    LPVOs are heavy and bulky but there are multiple quality 1-6, 1-8, and 1-10 scopes out there with 1X RDS speed plus useful magnification at the top end.
    I wouldn't pull my ACOG off my gun for ANY LBGQPVO. I run it out to 500 yards with relative easy every weekend. Until I get to 750, I have no need for more than the COG offers. So if you're realistic ranges are 500 and in, you're well taken care of with an ACOG.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a side note or FYI, I see more rumblings regarding ACOGs quality these days. Even my go to LGS has had issues with them. He even tried an alternative distributor with no change. I've never tried one but he seems to be impressed with the Steiner optics and says the P4Xi 1-4x24mm P3TR model is a decent alternative.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast