Thread: Slide weight - Perception of recoil

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Slide weight - Perception of recoil

Context: I have a couple Walther PPQ’s and just grabbed a PDP over the holiday. Specifically, I wanted the updated frame and trigger on the PDP Pro SD. My intent was to drop a PPQ slide/barrel (which I have extra) in it.

After weighing the slide, I find that the bulkier appearing PDP slide is actually about 1.4 oz lighter that the equivalent 4” PPQ.

For those more experienced: Is that slight amount of weight going to make a noticeable difference in returning the dot/sights back on target, assuming my continued personal improvement over time?

Yes, I know I can test it myself, but if I stick with my original plan to sell the PDP “upper,” I’d rather do so with it in unused condition.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

……….
    For those more experienced: Is that slight amount of weight going to make a noticeable difference in returning the dot/sights back on target, assuming my continued personal improvement over time?…….
    Subjectively; no.
    While handling my STI DVC P ( full side, comped all steel) then my C2, which has shorter/Commander length slide and alloy frame, I’d assume the full-size/compensated gun would be much “easier” to shoot accurately/rapidly than the shorter, alloy frame gun.

In application it does not. My times/splits and accuracy are quite similar.
    While they “feel” different in recoil, the results are nearly identical.
    I attribute this to form/technique and simple familiarity with the platform.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd only speculate that the lighter slide would yield greater "snap" all things equal. The heavier slide, slightly more reciprocating mass, but a wash between the two.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Competition shooters have said that lighter slides shoot “flatter”, referring to recoil/recoil recovery, not trajectory. I personally can’t say either way, because I don’t eff with highly modified pistols, and shooting a M9a1 back-to-back with a G17 has too many variables to claim that slide weight made whatever difference there would be.

I’m sure someone has tested this. Maybe @YVK knows something about it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I also believe it's more in your technique and learning how the gun behaves. Some guns that have a heavier slide to recoil spring ratio feel different to me as the mass has to be stopped, it has more of a disruption in sight tracking to me. Some guns such as the SW EZ 9mm are really good examples of this.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Competition shooters have said that lighter slides shoot “flatter”, referring to recoil/recoil recovery, not trajectory. I personally can’t say either way, because I don’t eff with highly modified pistols, and shooting a M9a1 back-to-back with a G17 has too many variables to claim that slide weight made whatever difference there would be.

I’m sure someone has tested this. Maybe @YVK knows something about it.
    The traditional thinking has been that lighter slides cycle faster and have lower forward momentum. Coupled with springs set for specific ammo that has resulted in reduction of a muzzle dip and faster settling of the sights. That's the theory. The practice and testing disputed that lighter slides gave better results. My personal testing is now very remote but I did perform better with a P30 than P30L. At the same time I know people who prefer Brigadier slides over Vertec slides on their Berettas. I know of two GMs who stated that their testing and performance has been better with heavier slides vs lighter ones, given the same frames. A notable example is a 40SW Glock that was used to win the Nationals some years back, with extra weight bolted to every available surface, frame and slide.

To me this falls under "whatever works best for you". I also am not preoccupied with the "perception of recoil", which is what the OP was about. My metric is points per second, or dropped points. 9 mm recoil is something I can live with ok.
    Last edited by YVK; 12-09-22 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks, all. I appreciate the info.