Thread: 300 BO question

Feedback Score

300 BO question

been entertaining the idea of 300 blackout build , i have a Wilson Combat stripped upper and lower im not sure what i want to do with

researching barrel lengths i came across a 16" 300 BO billed/listed as a "pistol" barrel , 16 inch barrel puts you at rifle/carbine length when NFA is concerned regardless of gas system length , correct?

first question , why market as a pistol barrel at 16 inches

second question , what are the advantages in having a pistol length gas system on a rifle/carbine length barrel in 300 BO

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I am assuming they just mean pistol-length gas system vs pistol barrel which would be my first red flag. Who makes the barrel?

You are correct that a 16" barrel = rifle/carbine length when NFA is concerned.

If I was doing a 16" blackout (which unless you need it as a hunting gun for some BS local laws really makes no sense to me) you would want a carbine gas system vs a pistol.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/300...-16-cmv-barrel

im actually creeping away from the idea of 300 BO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That barrel uses a pistol length gas tube.

Because the pressure drops off much faster than 5.56, a 16” 300 pistol gas is fine. Carbine gas length is the longest that will function.

Pistol gas is going to be less sensitive to extreme cold, loading lighter bullets subsonic, and loading a wider burn rate of powders for subsonic.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    im actually creeping away from the idea of 300 BO
    Good thinking!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    That barrel uses a pistol length gas tube.

Because the pressure drops off much faster than 5.56, a 16” 300 pistol gas is fine. Carbine gas length is the longest that will function.

Pistol gas is going to be less sensitive to extreme cold, loading lighter bullets subsonic, and loading a wider burn rate of powders for subsonic.
    thank you