Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free float handguards

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Free float handguards

SO my question has to do with the way they are mounted mostly.. Some use a proprietary barrel nut and some use the standard nut and clamp to outside of it. So, which is better? Is one mounting method inherently stiffer, stronger, more resistant to damage or deflection than another?

I am considering a new freefloat handguard for a new upper. The barrel is a lightweight Noveske mid-length so I want to get the accuracy that I can out of it. I have a heavier BA barrel that does well with a Magpull plastic handguard but it is thicker stuff.

Right now I am thinking a BCM handguard is the way to go which uses BCM's proprietary barrel nut but I am considering a MI Industries product that uses the standard barrel nut. What is the word on the MI line? My uses are primarily 2 gun, training and self defense. During matches my rifles do get banged around based on the nicks and scratches I find later. Roughly laid on the ground or used around stage props is normal so I want something that can take a beating.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If stiffness is priority, I'd look at options from Geissele (proprietary nut) or Centurion (Standard AR nut).

I love my BCM rails, and wouldn't swap them out. But the two above are crazy solid.

The BCM QRF has the best profile. Geiselle doesn't make a full pic rail, so I'm stuck with some worthless Mlok slots. Centurion would be perfect IF the bottom rail wasn't so tall. (I like the KAC and DD mk rail heights best by far)
    Last edited by markm; 12-09-22 at 09:15.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I should add that this barrel uses a FSB which I want to retain so any handguard must fit with the front sight block. I do have a Centurion and a Geissele both of which have been good. I could go back to the Centurion and be happy but I was wondering about some options. The Geissele will not fit with a FSB.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Geiselle doesn't make a full pic rail, so I'm stuck with some worthless Mlok slots.
    Sure they do, you just have to plan and time it right.

https://geissele.com/12-7-super-modu...mk7-black.html
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I should add that this barrel uses a FSB which I want to retain so any handguard must fit with the front sight block. I do have a Centurion and a Geissele both of which have been good. I could go back to the Centurion and be happy but I was wondering about some options. The Geissele will not fit with a FSB.
    Short of modifying a different rail, I’d stick with a C4 with cutout if I wanted free float and the intact FSB.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Short of modifying a different rail, I’d stick with a C4 with cutout if I wanted free float and the intact FSB.
    Same here. I dig my C4 MLOK FSP mid-length. It is the only handguard I'll use with a standard GI barrel nut.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Sure they do, you just have to plan and time it right.

https://geissele.com/12-7-super-modu...mk7-black.html
    WOW! Only in Rifle though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    WOW! Only in Rifle though.
    There's always a chop saw
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    There's always a chop saw
    I was thinking that with the BCM QRF, but It's hard for me to cut on a new item. Damn sure can't cut on a $550 rail!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You want a dedicated, long barrel nut and ideally a "Beefy," non-flexing rail.

Older All-Picatinny quad rails generally have linear strength from the bigger/heavier cross-section to minimize external flexing - deflection. The barrel's still going to point true, coaxially toward the target, and if the rail doesn't flex you'll be a little more consistent (why accessories like aiming lasers don't flex off axial line with the barrel bore).

The Geiselle Mark 7 is fantastic, and I own BCM 12s that do pretty much the same thing, cheaper. SLR also has some good quad-rail options, as well as the tried-and-true Larue 12.0.

Midwest's Night Fighter line uses a long nut and a beefier back end, specifically to minimize deflection when using night aiming lasers.

The GI barrel nut does OK, but isn't optimum -- it's a cheap-quick fix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast