Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Register SBR Lower Without Engraving

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Register SBR Lower Without Engraving

I did not want to drift the "Buy or Build SPR" thread, but a post there seemed to indicate that additional engraving is not required to register a (previously non-NFA) rifle as a SBR.

Did I misunderstand, or can you complete the form using only the manufacture's marking and S/N?

Thank you

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When filling out the Form 1, you will be asked for your name and address, or that of your trust. You will also be asked for the manufacturer's name, model, and serial number of the receiver. If the receiver is one you completed from an 80% lower, then that information will be your name (or that of your trust), a model name you designate, and a serial number you designate (that conforms to their rules for serial numbers). OTOH, if the receiver is one you purchased, you would enter the manufacturer's name, model & serial number (as marked on the receiver).

Either way, once approved (or even before if you so desire), you would have the lower engraved with your name (or that of your trust) and your city and state.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you and thank you for taking the time to break it down for me.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thank you and thank you for taking the time to break it down for me.

Andy
    You're welcome! If you decide to do one, please feel free to reach out to me. I've done a couple successfully now, and would be happy to answer questions.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Did I misunderstand, or can you complete the form using only the manufacture's marking and S/N?
    Yes. None of my forms include anything other than original markings.

Now with ATF, the contradict themselves all the time. Over the years guys have posted responses from different examiners that say different things. Some guys I know got approvals with specific requests for engraving.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Unless I’m overlooking something the NFA handbook is unclear on this. Especially when all your doing is putting a factory short barrel upper on a lower. This doesn’t make you a manufacturer.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Unless I’m overlooking something the NFA handbook is unclear on this. Especially when all your doing is putting a factory short barrel upper on a lower. This doesn’t make you a manufacturer.
    Exactly. My view is that engraving is only important on a GENUINE manufactured item like an F1 can. No one gives a crap about your trust info, etc. The gun would never be tracked by big brother with that info. It's just theater.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yes. None of my forms include anything other than original markings.

Now with ATF, the contradict themselves all the time. Over the years guys have posted responses from different examiners that say different things. Some guys I know got approvals with specific requests for engraving.
    Same here, my last 2 SBRs have no additional engravings outside of the factory markings. Forms were approved with that section empty. I've been saying this for years but always get told I'm wrong when my approved F1s disagree.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wahoo95; 12-11-22 at 14:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Same here, my last 2 SBRs have no additional engravings outside of the factory markings. Forms were approved with that section empty. I've been saying this for years but always get told I'm wrong when my approved F1s disagree.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Are you referring to 4a on the 5320?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Do y'all normally send the receiver off for engraving or find someone local?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-11-22 at 17:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast