Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: What's the consensus on carbon fiber barrels?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    You must have been watching a different video to be able to tell that one barrel's group is bigger or smaller than the others.

First, with 36 total rounds through two different rifles, that is not a good statistical sample.

Second, with two different barrel made by two different manufacturers to two different quality standards, you really cannot draw any comparative conclusions between the barrels.

Third, the only thing to can really compare is the performance of each barrel cold to its performance hot.

So, the only thing you can deduce from the four groups is that both opened up as the barrel heated up, and the POI shifted, that's all.
    Well I agree the sample size isn't big enough to really make any determination, but I'm also not the one who posted it as evidence of anything. All I'm saying is if we're going to draw any conclusions from that video then the only conclusions that could be drawn support my opinion from the outset, which is that 1) barrel stiffness has very little influence on an AR's accuracy and 2) that thermal mass and surface area are much more important to holding tighter groups.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Well I agree the sample size isn't big enough to really make any determination, but I'm also not the one who posted it as evidence of anything. All I'm saying is if we're going to draw any conclusions from that video then the only conclusions that could be drawn support my opinion from the outset, which is that 1) barrel stiffness has very little influence on an AR's accuracy and 2) that thermal mass and surface area are much more important to holding tighter groups.
    Not sure how you can still come up with the opposite conclusion that everyone else saw from the video including the video's own creators.

Are you retarded or something? Delusional? Both?
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just want it to be known that Okie and Cokie are two different people that have never met. I am an idiot in my own special way, to be clear, but I wanted to throw my two cents in.

I’ve shot bolt guns for a long time, and IME, lighter barrels vs heavy barrel perform very similar to Molon’s data on the 14.5” barrels that differ in profile from heavy to skinny. It’s around here somewhere, and the heavy barrels were more accurate, skinny barrels slightly less accurate. That’s all the data I have to draw from. Everything else I have to add is anecdotal.

I do not understand material science. However, I’ve seen in the past that fluted barrel did lose accuracy faster than straight Palma/M24 profile barrels. Basing these experiences off molon’s results would lead me to believe removing material in any way, whether uniformly across an entire barrel, or in flutes or dimples affects accuracy in similar but not necessarily equal ways. Fluted barrels may be better than skinnier barrels of equal weights, but I have neither data nor anecdote to support that.

Carbon fiber barrels are cool looking and niche. It was cool to see the proof guy bash a cinder block with one. I personally think they are best used in hunting applications or other low volume shooting applications where lightweight guns are needed. Steel beats it in any other way. Fluting cannot make a barrel stronger though. Wtf.
    Last edited by Cokie; 01-17-23 at 01:01.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    This could probably be a standalone thread, but I’m curious if a ball end mill dimpled barrel is stiffer/more rigid than a straight flute barrel of the same mass?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    This could probably be a standalone thread, but I’m curious if a ball end mill dimpled barrel is stiffer/more rigid than a straight flute barrel of the same mass?
    For the same weight, length and caliber, the stiffer barrel will have the material situated as far as possible from the axis of symmetry (large radius). That's why longitudinal flutes are very good at adding stiffness.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516