Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The mile shot

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I took some free classes at Frontsight, that place is beyond huge. It will surprise you if you have never been.

That’s about 6 hrs from us. So a pretty good drive. Cheap fast flight though.

PB
    Never been there PB, so interested in what it is all about.

They seem to have a large number of classes. Too bad it’s that far……..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Awesome, the flashers definitely help alot, and
    The flashers saved us on Saturday. Pappabear went 3 for 5 with the Tikka .223. We finally got the poof on the hill that let us know we were a couple mils short. The 2 little marks bottom center, and the one middle right are 88 gr ELDMs from mile out!!!

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The flashers saved us on Saturday. Pappabear went 3 for 5 with the Tikka .223. We finally got the poof on the hill that let us know we were a couple of mils short. The 2 little marks bottom center and the one middle right are 88 gr ELDMs from a mile out!!!

Wow, you guys are crazy & lucky all in one! Crazy to even try a shot like that but then fortunate to have the access and place to shoot at such a distance, very cool! It looks like a buddy in our group has an area where we can get out to 800/850ish so I am excited about that, just waiting for the dam weather to come around in a couple of months. I need to work on my 88 ELDs a bit more and see if I can make some improvements, not being very successful at the moment markm, maybe I'll hit you up with some questions and such and get a general idea of where you're at. Please keep us updated for sure, it looks like you're having some fun.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    M1a, please know our 88’s will not fit in a magazine. They are single feed projos. Don’t know if yours are or not.

PB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What was the come up in the scope?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    M1a, please know our 88s will not fit in a magazine. They are single-feed projos. Don’t know if yours are or not.

PB
    Well, PB, I got good news for ya and maybe bad news and the bad will cost you, $$$ LOL. I did take your OAL and put mine in that area and I even bought the single feed sled from MT and it worked fine. But I did not leave stuff alone & I bought the MDT stock/Chassie along with magazines from MDT, both metal & plastic. It's obvious they added a little of their own tweaks cuz my 88 ELD bullets @ or around 2.50 OAL will fit and function in these mags, I was very impressed and quite happy about it. Anyways here are a couple of pics showing everything, there could even be another hair or two of length still available if needed but I think it should be good where I'm at, but will try less OAL also and see if that makes a difference. I'll keep plugging along and see what I come up with, hope you continue to have great success with your setup, I know I love mine. Have a great week.
    Plastic MDT mag on the left, Stock Tikka in the middle, and Metal MDT on the right.

Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 02-27-23 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Our DOPE calcs gave us 24.5 but we ended with 27.5 mils.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Well, PB, I got good news for ya and maybe bad news and the bad will cost you, $$$ LOL. I did take your OAL and put mine in that area and I even bought the single feed sled from MT and it worked fine. But I did not leave stuff alone & I bought the MDT stock/Chassie along with magazines from MDT, both metal & plastic. It's obvious they added a little of their own tweaks cuz my 88 ELD bullets @ or around 2.50 OAL will fit and function in these mags, I was very impressed and quite happy about it. Anyways here are a couple of pics showing everything, there could even be another hair or two of length still available if needed but I think it should be good where I'm at, but will try less OAL also and see if that makes a difference. I'll keep plugging along and see what I come up with, hope you continue to have great success with your setup, I know I love mine. Have a great week.
    Plastic MDT mag on the left, Stock Tikka in the middle, and Metal MDT on the right.

I am hoping that Mountain Tactical will make Tikka mags with more OAL.
    PB

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Yes, that would be cool and much cheaper, LOL. The MDT mags aren't terrible but obviously, you need a bottom metal that will take them. Mountain Tactical makes the bottom metal but ya need to fit it into your current factory stock, I didn't want to mess with it so I spent $600+++ instead,

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    27.5 mils. (compared to a 17.5ish come up for 300 WM) 40 MOA base on the gun because we knew we'd try to shoot it long range.... so it's all dialed up... no hold over due to running out of scope.

ALSO: The led hit indicator was critical because there was extra chatter between shots, and hearing a 223 hit the gong would be hard.
    Last edited by markm; 02-27-23 at 20:55.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12