Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The mile shot

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

The mile shot

We were doing our normal Saturday shoot and kinda bored. I said, lets go bang on the mile. We skipped it last year because its a hassle to get to and the only target to hit is the Mile and 1350. Totally forgot to take a stab at the 1350.

WE went 2 for 5 with the 300 WM with the Horndog 230g A-tips. 17.5 mils Then just stunk up the place with the new Tikka 223, couldn't even spot our misses. And didn't do much better with 6.5CM. I did smack it after countless rounds getting wind hosed. Left right right left left left right right. I will say we were only missing on wind for the most part. If it was not so windy we could have done pretty well with 6.5cm.

Rewarding and humbling experience that mile is.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We were doing our normal Saturday shoot and kinda bored. I said, lets go bang on the mile. We skipped it last year because its a hassle to get to and the only target to hit is the Mile and 1350. Totally forgot to take a stab at the 1350.

WE went 2 for 5 with the 300 WM with the Horndog 230g A-tips. 17.5 mils Then just stunk up the place with the new Tikka 223, couldn't even spot our misses. And didn't do much better with 6.5CM. I did smack it after countless rounds getting wind hosed. Left right right left left left right right. I will say we were only missing on wind for the most part. If it was not so windy we could have done pretty well with 6.5cm.

Rewarding and humbling experience that mile is.

PB
    2 of 5 sounds good to me...... I wish I had some place to shoot that distance even semi close. Just like loading, I'd have to work my way up to it.

Surprising your Tika didn't fare better, given your reports on that rifle.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    2 of 5 sounds good to me...... I wish I had some place to shoot that distance even semi close. Just like loading, I'd have to work my way up to it.

Surprising your Tika didn't fare better, given your reports on that rifle.
    I think the wind tossed that .223 round 50 to 75 feet at that range. Completely out of view and was back and forth so no chance. Is my guess.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wish I had some place to shoot that distance even semi close.
    Check the bus ticket prices from Bora Bora. You're welcome to shoot wiff us!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice! 500 yards is all we can shoot around here.

Feedback Score
    Wind is real tough at that distance. We've shot a mile+ with 6mm and 6.5 Creed etc, but it's been on fairly calm days. With 6mm, it's hard to even spot the hits on steel, so we would typically use electronic flashers that would light up on impacts.

But man it's fun to shoot that far.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Check the bus ticket prices from Bora Bora. You're welcome to shoot wiff us!
    I’ll be taking the Colt Armorers course at front sight next July.

If that place is anywhere near y’all and the offer is still open, I may hit you lads up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Wind is real tough at that distance. We've shot a mile+ with 6mm and 6.5 Creed etc, but it's been on fairly calm days. With 6mm, it's hard to even spot the hits on steel, so we would typically use electronic flashers that would light up on impacts.

But man it's fun to shoot that far.
    We have the flashers. 6.5 is squirrelly at 1300 yards some days. 300WM is king for sure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We have the flashers. 6.5 is squirrelly at 1300 yards some days. 300WM is king for sure.
    Awesome, the flashers definitely help alot, and ya 300WM is great. I just put together a new 300PRC for a long range hunting rifle. Haven't shot it past the 100 yard sight in yet, but looking forward to pushing it out to distance. Just need it to stop snowing here so i can get out

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’ll be taking the Colt Armorers course at front sight next July.

If that place is anywhere near y’all and the offer is still open, I may hit you lads up.
    I took some free classes at Frontsight, that place is beyond huge. It will surprise you if you have never been.

That’s about 6 hrs from us. So a pretty good drive. Cheap fast flight though.

PB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast