Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle duty ammo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You’ll see slightly more velocity from MSR, and it has all of the reliability-related features you would expect in duty ammo, whereas the regular Fusion is more directed at hunters with bolt guns.
    Good to know thanks. It's mainly a backup for me, but i'll stick to MSR if i buy any going forward.

Feedback Score
    The vaunted "FBI load", Federal 5.56x45mm XM556FBIT3M 62 gr Tactical Bonded. It's a JSP loaded to 5.56 NATO pressure and one of the top-rated AR rounds out there.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I agree with ABNAK.

And the Federal LE223T3 load is a consistently superb performer in FBI tests along with that FBI XM556FBIT3 load in 5.56.

Terminal effects are great but precision tends to be so-so, say around 1.5 to 1.75 moa. Still, this is fine for distances where the average shot is sub 100 yards. The 223 load has been noticeably more precise than the 5.56 in any rifle I’ve tried them in.

I like that the LE223T3 uses nickel cases so the difference between duty and practice ammo is obvious.
    Last edited by SBRSarge; 12-16-22 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In my experience the Federal XM556FBIT3 had less than exceptional accuracy-easily 2 MOA+, was difficult to find and expensive when you could.
    The Speer GD loads (55, 64/62, 75) proved more accurate, reasonably priced and available. Icing on the cake was POI at 100 yds was within an inch or two of 77 gr. 5.56 (BH and IMI) from my frequently used Carbines. This with the 75 gr. GD.
    Last edited by gaijin; 12-17-22 at 06:13.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kgj1119 View Post
    So… my dept is looking for quotes on a new rifle duty round. I’m the past we use Speer gold dot 55gr and a fed tactical 55gr. We want to switch to a 62gr round. Most guys carry Sbr’s but there are some 16” guns I think 62gr is a good middle weight with the guns being 1x7,1x8 and some 1x9. We want to go to one round to simplify everything for the “lowest” user. While doing some research the past couple days. My brain is fried with the whole this is the best round for this or this is best for that. Now obviously we need a round for pretty much everything. Walls. Cars. Other barriers. People While cost isn’t that big of a deal. If we get a round that’s suitable. We don’t want the most expensive either. Also 62gr is easier to find for general range ammo/. Get on paper and fine tune with duty ammo Any help???
    Contact LE reps for the manufacturers of interest. Give them your needs, see what test data packages, sample ammo, or demo shoots are available. Don't overcomplicate it. Differences between GTG rounds can be an exercise in hair splitting. Some of your decision should factor ongoing availability of the load and your paired training rounds. The differences between your twists and barrel length aren't as big a variable as you might believe either - depending. Sounds like you want a barrier blind, bonded, or monolithic load.

There is nothing wrong with the 62 GDSP (24445SP) which was mentioned above. I've shot a lot of it, and it's a match-ish (often ~1MOA) load. It is a little slow though (16" ~2650) and may be quirky to pair with a training load. It may be a marginal choice for SBR.

I use the BHA 5.56 62TSX, fast (16" ~2900) and GTG across barrel lengths and twists. Matches well with a variety of stuff for training - esp mil loads.

Others may be fine.

Useful question: Ask your manufacturer if they have a spec that advertised training/duty pairings are held to, and what it is if not proprietary. That can be handy. Allowable lot-to-lot variation of your chosen load.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention. Contact the FBI Firearms Training Unit at Quantico and ask them for their latest DVD of testing data.

Beyond just the protocol test results, it offers a good amount of interesting reading.

You’ll need agency letterhead, signed by a command officer, that states it will be used solely within your agency and not shared anywhere else.

If you need the address, shoot me a PM. I can reply to it or email the address to you.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by SBRSarge; 12-18-22 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    I agree with ABNAK.

And the Federal LE223T3 load is a consistently superb performer in FBI tests along with that FBI XM556FBIT3 load in 5.56.

Terminal effects are great but precision tends to be so-so, say around 1.5 to 1.75 moa. Still, this is fine for distances where the average shot is sub 100 yards. The 223 load has been noticeably more precise than the 5.56 in any rifle I’ve tried them in.

I like that the LE223T3 uses nickel cases so the difference between duty and practice ammo is obvious.
    My old agency has some issues with this expanding effectively out of 16" barrels, through auto glass. Quite different from the FBI load (5.56 pressure).

I'm aware of one OIS where the subject received over a dozen rds through laminate auto glass and most of the wound channels were fairly punctuate IIRC. The threat took a long time to stop.... threatening.

It's anecdotal AND I wouldn't write off the LE223T3 round completely. But i would recommend against it for anything under 16".

FBI load, Hornady TAP 55gr GMX 5.56, BH 50gr TSX 5.56 would be tops for shorties and longer barrels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    In my experience the Federal XM556FBIT3 had less than exceptional accuracy-easily 2 MOA+ Yes, was difficult to find Yes and expensive when you could and Yes.
    The Speer GD loads (55, 64/62, 75) proved more accurate, reasonably priced and available. Icing on the cake was POI at 100 yds was within an inch or two of 77 gr. 5.56 (BH and IMI) from my frequently used Carbines. This with the 75 gr. GD.
    The bullet shape (being a soft-point) doesn't lend itself to uber accurate shooting to be sure; it's a "combat load". The soft-point itself is not a streamlined one either; it's rather wide. There are considerably more accurate 62gr loads out there.

Yeah, especially now it's quite hard to find. I've had mine for several years, back when it wasn't as uncommon.

I'll agree it wasn't cheap either, but I can't recall what I paid for it.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 12-18-22 at 17:23.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    The bullet shape (being a soft-point) doesn't lend itself to uber accurate shooting to be sure; it's a "combat load". The soft-point itself is not a streamlined one either; it's rather wide. There are considerably more accurate 62gr loads out there.

Yeah, especially now it's quite hard to find. I've had mine for several years, back when it wasn't as uncommon.

I'll agree it wasn't cheap either, but I can't recall what I paid for it.
    As much of a fan as i remain of XM556FBIT3, all the exposed lead tips on my rounds look pretty rough. Inconsistent lead swaged at the tip, inconsistent overall tip profile, etc. However, this aligns with all the other TBBC rounds I've seen in .30 cal, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    As much of a fan as i remain of XM556FBIT3, all the exposed lead tips on my rounds look pretty rough. Inconsistent lead swaged at the tip, inconsistent overall tip profile, etc. However, this aligns with all the other TBBC rounds I've seen in .30 cal, etc.
    Yes, and I have mine from two different vendors, so it wasn't a bad or sloppy batch. On a few it seems like the lead is overflowing the HP! That said, maybe that's why it is rated as such a good round. It's not neatly trimmed and compact like the Speer Gold Dot SP's (I have some 64gr ones). I may be wrong in this assumption but perhaps that big-ass HP opening and the generous application of lead filler in it no doubt contributes to better and more consistent expansion (?). It doesn't, however, help in the accuracy department at all.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast