Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long term ammunition storage: potential safety issues (long)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive shot ammo fairly recently from WW2. Ive shot ammo, that still as accurate & reliable much older than that even.
    Factory ammo over 30 years old properly stored [ in ammo cans, in a safe, in a bedroom] will outlast you.
    Reloads? Well, anyone who knows me knows I dont shoot them, so their lifespan I cant comment on.
    Im sure certain types of ammo can "go bad" if not given even semi -good care...but Ive shot enough old stuff to know age itself aint a factor.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Ammo goes bad? Like canned tuna? Thats a new one on me.
    I tried to follow the science but it simply was not there. I then followed the money, thats where i found the science.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've had plenty of WW2 surplus with hangfires and not fire. So, yeah, I suppose it'll eventually go bad. If I'm still shooting in 50 years, I'm pretty sure it won't be stuff I bought last week.

Feedback Score
    There was an interview on guntalk 3 or 4 years ago with one of the Hodgdon executives. He was asked about the shelf life of powder and he said it has a half life of 50 years assuming proper storage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12