Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Steiner T6xi 1-6

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Hard to tell from pics, but that's my concern. Giant circle, thin stadia. Can you easily make precise hits on 1x?

Just eyeballing it based on the Steiner image it looks like ~62mil diameter or 213 MOA. An 18" wide target at 25 yards is only 72 MOA. At 50 yards it's only 36MOA

Seems like even large targets are floating inside of that circle.
    From what I've seen, pretty much. The reticle makes no sense to me unless you're using it inside a shoot house. There are no wind holds for range, and the outer circle is too large for anything but indoors use, IMO. Again, this is just from looking at video footage through the scope, etc. I do not own this optic so cannot speak from first hand experience, just have been considering it and kinda not feeling it.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    From what I've seen, pretty much. The reticle makes no sense to me unless you're using it inside a shoot house. There are no wind holds for range, and the outer circle is too large for anything but indoors use, IMO. Again, this is just from looking at video footage through the scope, etc. I do not own this optic so cannot speak from first hand experience, just have been considering it and kinda not feeling it.
    Why would you need any of that stuff on a Reticle on 1X? If you are doing any type of holds, wouldn't you want it magnified?

And FYI... on 1X it is a great reticle for CQB. Very fast.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Double Post........

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    It's not necessarily "CQB" that I'm worried about. It's easy enough to hose torso targets at room distance. I'm more worried about intermediate 25-100 yards, i.e. a head box at 30 yards or partial torso at 50-100.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    It's not necessarily "CQB" that I'm worried about. It's easy enough to hose torso targets at room distance. I'm more worried about intermediate 25-100 yards, i.e. a head box at 30 yards or partial torso at 50-100.
    I shoot IPSC steels at 50-100 yards all the time with it. Never had a problem. I usually zoom it in a bit at 100 just to get a better sight picture.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Why would you need any of that stuff on a Reticle on 1X? If you are doing any type of holds, wouldn't you want it magnified?

And FYI... on 1X it is a great reticle for CQB. Very fast.
    There are no wind holds on 6x, either, was my take. Just a mil drop tree.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    There are no wind holds on 6x, either, was my take. Just a mil drop tree.
    There are on 6x. Do you have one of the scopes or are you basing this all on what you have heard?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    There are on 6x. Do you have one of the scopes or are you basing this all on what you have heard?
    I'm basing it off of looking at the pdf of the reticle. It has no wind holds unless you dial for elevation first. Noone is doping wind in mils at 100m unless it's just stoopid windy. So this leaves you just holding off in space at 3-600m. Reticles like NF's FC-DMx actually give you something to use.

Then there is the issue of this YUUUGGGE non-daylight bright "donut" (it reminds me of the NXS 1-4 FC-2, but larger).

How is this useful/fast/helpful except at bad breath distance?

I want to like it, as I'd like an alternative to the NX8 with cleaner glass, but I just don't feel like this is it. It just looks like it does everything bad instead of everything sorta okay.
    Last edited by WS6; 03-16-23 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    The odd thing is there is no instructions or explanation of this reticle.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My opinion is that an optic needs either:

a good exposed elevation turret with windage hashes on the main line

or

a capped elevation turret with at least a basic Christmas tree reticle for wind holds while holding for elevation.

Holding for both without any kind of aiming point on the reticle is laughably far from ideal.

I've got a few LPVOs with capped elevation turrets without a Christmas tree reticle, but I paid well under a grand for them.....so perfection isn't expected. Every tactical optic I own that isn't an LPVO has a good exposed elevation turret and I dial all of them, so I naturally prefer this for LPVOs as well.

I will freely admit that my P4xi's glass is really nice and it seems to be a well made optic. I have no regrets with the (significantly discounted) purchase, even with a mediocre reticle.
    Last edited by grizzman; 03-16-23 at 19:04.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast