Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate Galil Ace: 13" Gen 1 5.56x45 that takes rock-n-lock magazines

Feedback Score
    I have no idea as I've never used any of that ammunition. It seems heavy for a short barrel though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I have no idea as I've never used any of that ammunition. It seems heavy for a short barrel though.
    But that’s precisely the point! Makes up for lower velocity. Would make a great home defense AK suppressed. KNS makes pistons

Feedback Score
    So I passed on the Sig 553R and bought the 13” Galil ACE 5.56 rock n lock pistol. Did you SBR yours Bret? I need dimensions. I chose this route because I love my Galils more than my 551s

Feedback Score
    Choosing between the two would be tough. You’ll be happy with your choice. I will SBR it, but I’m waiting to see how the whole pistol brace thing goes. I hope that it gets shot down. If not, I’ll take the “free” amnesty registered SBR. You’ll have to do a regular Form 1 registration since you purchased it after the brace rule was published in the federal register. I’m out of town, but can get you the dimensions when I get back next week.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I was going to pay the $200 anyway. It’s coming to me as a pistol without any brace or stock attachment.

I have two 551s now and a 7.62x39 version made no sense to me compared to my Galils and other AKs. I’m sure it’s a neat range toy, but I always buy things I can actually use for courses or competitions. This Galil 5.56 will be my new evil friend. My Arsenal SAM-5 was a huge disappointment.

Feedback Score
    You’re more practical than me. I buy most just because they seem interesting. The Ace is definitely better than the SAM5, though mine has been decent so far.

Feedback Score
    Just picked up my 5.56 13” gen 1 pistol. Heading to the range to test it and then submit a form 1.

does your bolt look like this? My other ACE bolts (7.62x39) are gray/phosphate colored.

iphone causing issues will upload when I get to a pc

Feedback Score
    Posting for MadAgnler1 because he was having issues with his phone.

Feedback Score
    I'm 99% sure there is no issue with the color, but I'll check my Aces when I get home. I have a couple of bolts in other AK's that appear to have a purplish tint. I'm told this is because of a high nickel content in the metal, but isn't an issue. The flat is just for tightening the barrel. It's not supposed to time to any particular spot. My guess is that they install the barrel and then drill the hole for the gas block, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm 100% confident that it's perfectly fine.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting the pics Bret.

I figured it was a manufacturing thing with the bolt color. Just definitely different and probably irrelevant.

I do recall now the barrel cut being twisted in the trunion, where it is not flat but at a slight angle. It’s a wrench flat as you point out. I have no clue if the trunion has threads or is pinned/pressed in on Galil ACEs.

So now, brief range report. I bought mine from Dissident Arms as a pistol, and they installed the KNS lower delete kit and the KNS piston for me, since I intended to suppress it from the get go. No issues with the piston in the regular setting (valve closed, so it runs like a normal piston). I opened it 10 clicks and had a few FTFs. 4 clicks open was a sweet spot. I’ll play with it some more. I ran IMI 55 and 77 gr without an issue in that setting.

Magazines: Whole damn reason I bought the thing was to get a rock n’lock . I don’t own a real Galil, so this is my first real experience with them.

1. Hard to load: Spring tension is fine, but they use an old USGI type following that dives, etc. The follower is to allow for the bolt hold open I presume. So what I mean is one side the rounds stack on OK. The other side can get caught up and has to be wiggled in place when doing it by hand. I’m going to buy a Mag LuLa for the Galil to get around this issue. The Galil mags will not work in my Ukrainian made Podavach. My Podavach works fine with every AK 7.62 x39 and 5.56 AK magazine I own

2. I struggle with inserting the magazine into the mag well. I have trained myself on my AKs to come in at an angle and seat the front end of the mag into the slot and then rock it back into place. It is incredibly easy to over insert the Galil magazine on this rifle. I wonder if the plastic lower on the Galil ACE would help prevent over insertion. I may re-install it, because I will have plenty of 922R parts. As an aside, I have no issues using my Arsenal SAM-5 with Bulgarian or other 5.56 AK magazines.

Anyhow, I will work on my form 1 today and try to get it out ASAP. I bought it as a pistol officially, but I intend to pay the $200 anyway, the same way I’ve always done it so I don’t deal with any B.S.

Thanks

PS: I guess I am officially a crack head. I now own several AK variants, two in 5.56 now using different magazines. Somebody help me please.
    Last edited by MadAngler1; 03-23-23 at 13:10.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast