Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best combo of 300 BLK plinking and self-defense subsonic?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Especially with 300 mags. Those are made with more clearance at the front rib for loading heavy subsonic bullets longer without pigeon toe.

There isn’t a 300 magazine that I know of with a rib at the case shoulder to prevent a short OAL round from moving forward. I don’t know if that’s because nobody making mags understands this or if there isn’t enough shoulder on the 300 for a rib to work.

The best solution at this time is to use ammo with the longer 300 specific bullets loaded to mag length. Like black tip.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The 110gr Barnes Tac-TX is the best performing load but is very expensive.

The Hornady 110gr Vmax is a good performer at a more reasonable cost.
    I've been tempted to pick up some of this, but I'm sitting on almost 2 cases of the Barnes 110 grain magic slayer ammo. Still, I'm tempted.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ammo...m_term=morning

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Anybody ever try the S&B eXergy Blue tipped 110gr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All of these 110gr loads are supersonic, not subsonic like the guy is asking for. And they take a fair amount of velocity to expand - which drops off quickly in most short barreled 300BLK rifles which makes your lethal range usually pretty short. Look up the minimum reliable expanstion velocity for that bullet, and use a ballistic calculator to plot the velocity of your round at different distances. Not that a hole poked in someone won't still hurt, but it's a far cry from a typical expanding rifle round wound.

The only subsonic round I'd use for hunting or defense is the Hornady 190fr Sub-X. It's the only one designed to expand at subsonic velocities, and it runs great in my 300BLK. Even that acts more like a heavy pistol round than a real rifle round, but it's way better than a FMJ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12