Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned from annual Milsurp Maintenance

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lessons Learned from annual Milsurp Maintenance

I’m wrapping up my annual milsurp / blued gun maintenance and made some observations.

1. Conservation works
    2. Hoppes #9 is vastly under rated
    3. Tear them down completely

I tore a few of them down further than I normally do and found some surface rust forming on small parts.

Mostly on my Model 94, 1917 Enfield and ‘43 IBM Carbine.

Took a page from the Mark Novak book and tried conserving the rusted parts (Boiling for 30 minutes) and they turned out perfectly.

Both parts of the model 94 looked like this prior to conservation. Had a similar experience with my Enfield that was made in 1918.

Both turned out great after boiling, a kerosene dip and rub down with 0000 steel wool.

Hoppes #9 doesn’t get nearly enough love as a carbon destroyer and has a new level of respect.

Tear those old guns apart and do a thorough inspection. You never know what you may find.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-28-22 at 09:48.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Excellent post. I'll have to read that book, I've never tried that method before.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Excellent post. I'll have to read that book, I've never tried that method before.
    Thank-you, but not a book. The Mark Novak conservation series on YouTube. His channel name is “Anvil.”

I’ve also used his technique to repair buggered screws with a mirror polished hammer and it works great.

I don’t have a before shot, but this ‘43 AFH Garand bayonet screw was majorly buggered prior to my repair.

It ain’t perfect, but it’s a night and day improvement from where it started.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-30-22 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Are you hitting the wood with boiled linseed oil?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Are you hitting the wood with boiled linseed oil?
    Yep. I have a can of BLO right next to my reloading bench. I only coat them if they are fairly dry.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-31-22 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have never tried boiling , thats a great idea.

You are 100% correct, have to break the guns down too.

Bronze wool is your friend as well https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod7391.aspx. With oil, of course.

I have used a pre-1982 penny with oil to remove "chunky" rust, but I will definitely try boiling first now.

An enthusiastic wipe down with oil and a paper towel seems to clean a fair bit of hidden corrosion from blued barrels, etc (paper is often tinged red after). I like to think that it reduces the opportunity for rust to start on guns I don't shoot much.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-31-22 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have never tried boiling , thats a great idea.

You are 100% correct, have to break the guns down too.

Bronze wool is your friend as well https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod7391.aspx. With oil, of course.

I have used a pre-1982 penny with oil to remove "chunky" rust, but I will definitely try boiling first now.

An enthusiastic wipe down with oil and a paper towel seems to clean a fair bit of hidden corrosion from blued barrels, etc (paper is often tinged red after). I like to think that it reduces the opportunity for rust to start on guns I don't shoot much.

Andy
    The best part of boiling is that it doesn’t harm the finish, it just converts the rust.

He also says to soak the 0000 steel wool in acetone before using it to take the rust off. (Steel wool has oils in it apparently)

Oiling is the very last step in the process and he recommends used motor oil or some other oil without detergents as the first oiling.

If you are going to try it, please watch his videos. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for ruining something because I left a step out on here.

He covers it in several videos, this is a good one.

https://youtu.be/rShG_F85W1Y
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-01-23 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Yep. I have a can of BLO right next to my reloading bench. I only coat them if they are fairly dry.
    I was always nervous about the rag self combusting and would rinse it well with hot soapy water them lay it outside in the rock bed.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I was always nervous about the rag self combusting and would rinse it well with hot soapy water them lay it outside in the rock bed.
    Is BLO highly combustible? No clue, I have a cotton rag with it impregnated.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Is BLO highly combustible? No clue, I have a cotton rag with it impregnated.
    Yup-bunch of folks have found out the hard way.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/f...-it-seriously/
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast