Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High-Strength Super Alloy BCG?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

High-Strength Super Alloy BCG?

The new Ruger SFAR AR 10-
    Bolt and barrel extensions are CNC-machined from high-strength super alloy steel that outperforms traditional C158 bolts.

Any ideas what it is? I doubt its 9310 or they would have listed that since its a common bolt steel.

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5611.html
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The new Ruger SFAR AR 10-
    Bolt and barrel extensions are CNC-machined from high-strength super alloy steel that outperforms traditional C158 bolts.

Any ideas what it is? I doubt its 9310 or they would have listed that since its a common bolt steel.

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5611.html
    I am curious about this too, but it is Ruger we're talking about here... My expectations that they genuinely innovated something significant are pretty low.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The only bolts Ive found to actually live up to their claims are the LMT enhanced and the KAC E3 bolts which are both using Aermet steel. Unless Ruger is using the same materials I highly doubt its going to be anything special.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The only bolts Ive found to actually live up to their claims are the LMT enhanced and the KAC E3 bolts which are both using Aermet steel. Unless Ruger is using the same materials I highly doubt its going to be anything special.
    Vicious, is the original E3 bolt using Aermet/A100? I have heard that the E3.2 bolt is, but no info on the original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I am curious about this too, but it is Ruger we're talking about here... My expectations that they genuinely innovated something significant are pretty low.
    Investment Cast!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Investment Cast!
    I had a pot-metal p85, and currently own a sad P95 with the plastic/fiberglass concoction of a frame. Meh. I have a soft spot for it, Ruger was my first gun.

I know nothing about .308 AR's but I do enjoy a SCAR-17

Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 12-30-22 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pot metal aka Chinesium? LOL!

Feedback Score
    Aermet 100 ?

Both C158 and Aremet 100 are produced by a Carpenter companies.

Bill Geissle has this on his webpage... ( bare with me )

"Since Geissele wanted to take it to the next level, our engineers worked directly with the Carpenter Steel metallurgists in Reading PA, to produce a special type of material known as Carpenter 158+. This material is cleaner with less impurities, ultimately making it stronger and more consistent. We did not stop there, we decided to forge the bolt. Using the same process used to produce upper and lower receivers, a forged bolt manipulates the grain structure of the metal and yields a bolt capable of 5 times the life of a mil-spec bolt."

Mr. Geissele also mentions here about a "C158+" material used .. right around the 15:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxjEdj8Z5kE

I am very curious what material Geissele and Ruger are actually using.

For that matter... what is the SIG XM5 using for its bolt material ?
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 01-04-23 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would expect that the alloy was chosen using material cost, availability, and manufacturing ease as the prime considerations. I'm not saying that it isn't a great steel but I agree with Georgeib. Note the 4140 barrel steel.

When I open the link, "Boomer muzzle brake" makes me grin...

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just sounds like marketing BS. "Our bolts are made out of some unspecified super DUPER alloy" Yeah ok... I'll stick with my perfectly adequate C158 bolts, thanks.
    Last edited by kirkland; 12-30-22 at 07:55.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast