Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High-Strength Super Alloy BCG?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    How could you possibly know if C158 was perfectly adequate for a new miniaturized .308 design?
    We can know if, or if not, C158 is adequate, because we know:

1) the loads produced by .308 Winchester
    2) the strength of Carpenter 158 steel, and
    3) we can get a real good estimate of how much steel is loaded in the bolt and extension based on its size.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think perhaps you missed the point. Some people were not aware that it was not an AR-15 bolt being discussed.

It’s also a brand new design using whatever material Ruger decided to use, so nobody makes a C158 bolt for it, adequate or not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Investment Cast!
    I had a pot-metal p85, and currently own a sad P95 with the plastic/fiberglass concoction of a frame. Meh. I have a soft spot for it, Ruger was my first gun.

I know nothing about .308 AR's but I do enjoy a SCAR-17

Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 12-30-22 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pot metal aka Chinesium? LOL!

Feedback Score
    Aermet 100 ?

Both C158 and Aremet 100 are produced by a Carpenter companies.

Bill Geissle has this on his webpage... ( bare with me )

"Since Geissele wanted to take it to the next level, our engineers worked directly with the Carpenter Steel metallurgists in Reading PA, to produce a special type of material known as Carpenter 158+. This material is cleaner with less impurities, ultimately making it stronger and more consistent. We did not stop there, we decided to forge the bolt. Using the same process used to produce upper and lower receivers, a forged bolt manipulates the grain structure of the metal and yields a bolt capable of 5 times the life of a mil-spec bolt."

Mr. Geissele also mentions here about a "C158+" material used .. right around the 15:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxjEdj8Z5kE

I am very curious what material Geissele and Ruger are actually using.

For that matter... what is the SIG XM5 using for its bolt material ?
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 01-04-23 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The only bolts Ive found to actually live up to their claims are the LMT enhanced and the KAC E3 bolts which are both using Aermet steel. Unless Ruger is using the same materials I highly doubt its going to be anything special.
    Vicious, is the original E3 bolt using Aermet/A100? I have heard that the E3.2 bolt is, but no info on the original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    There's a few flavors of steel like 9310 that are more "fracture resistant". My guess it's one of those.

Feedback Score
    "the bolt and barrel extensions are machined from a special alloy with a high nickel content for extra strength and durability"

Source: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/r...ackage-review/
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    C158 and 9310 are both a special alloy with a high nickel content too, compared to normal steel grades. Something like A100 does have more nickel but it’s really a cobalt alloy.

Still no idea if it’s really exotic or marketing.

Feedback Score
    The bolt on the far right is .800" OD, just to the left is a bolt with a .750OD. Both can handle cartridges with a 308 diameter bolt face, both bolts are made from 9310 VAC ARC. I made those from 2009-2017 for wildcats with a 308 diameter case and use in an AR15(6BRX, 6mm Dasher and similar), no one has ever broken one.
    I've never seen the Ruger bolt so I don't know the size or shape but that will give you an idea what 9310 will handle.
    Attachment 69548

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast