Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CQBL-1 + illuminator vs Dbal D2

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    @Ironman8

Pretty sure your recommendations in other threads are what “inspired” me with the CQBL. I also have a dual lead Modbutton Lite ready for use. Good point with the QD option. I guess I could emulate that, but would need to as a 1913 segment, since all I have is MLOK at this point.

Have you compared the EX 250 to a DBAL D2’s illuminator? Per others, the D2 seems like it should be better, but you note as peer options.
    No need for 1913 bro
    https://www.bobroengineering.com/M-L...OUNT_p_63.html

As for comparison, I didn’t mean it to sound like I’ve compared them directly. This was mainly going off of what reviews I could find of the D2. Based on reviews, I think the main thing you lose with the Malkoff vs D2 is the ability to focus the illuminator.

Just for reference, I started with the Modlite IR 850 and moved to the Malkoff due to how bad the Modlite autogated the tubes. The Malkoff still does it to some extent but I’ve been able to mitigate some of that by using a 950nm filter glued into a Butler Creek cap that fits onto the end of the light bezel. It also cuts some of the red glow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S9...b_b_asin_title

All that said, as Rhinowso confirmed below, the Kiji 3° is probably the best way. It should give you MAWL-ish performance for a fraction of the cost and all the benefits of the separate illuminator system that I personally like.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    For $2K and that combo weighs 10oz more than the D2
    How so? How does your math work out to that?

*Referring to your weight estimate. CQBL has been discontinued (as far as I know) but they were pretty prevalent on the used market for $5-600. There are other options for a IR laser only to pair with a Kiji such as an OTAL or Holosun units that wouldn’t work up to your $2k claim.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 01-01-23 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    For pricing, the DBAL becomes the lower price once adding a Kiji, assuming no deals on the Kiji.

DBAL $1237
    CQBL-1 $590 + Kiji 3° $850 + Bobbi mount $87 = $1527

The CQBL+Kiji combo stays lower weight, substituting an Arisaka since I don’t see a weight for the Bobro:

DBAL 12.5oz

CQBL-1 w/battery 6.0oz + Kiji 3° w/battery 3.1oz + Arisaka inline mount 0.6oz = 9.7oz

We’ll see. I haven’t heard back about the sale, so it may be a non-issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    How so? How does your math work out to that?

*Referring to your weight estimate. CQBL has been discontinued (as far as I know) but they were pretty prevalent on the used market for $5-600. There are other options for a IR laser only to pair with a Kiji such as an OTAL or Holosun units that wouldn’t work up to your $2k claim.
    I was looking at a different Kiji
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Just for reference, I started with the Modlite IR 850 and moved to the Malkoff due to how bad the Modlite autogated the tubes. The Malkoff still does it to some extent but I’ve been able to mitigate some of that by using a 950nm filter glued into a Butler Creek cap that fits onto the end of the light bezel. It also cuts some of the red glow. [
    You might appreciate the Modlight IR 930.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You might appreciate the Modlight IR 930.
    Due to viz signature? How is it on throw? I understood that it wasn’t much different than a vampire so I passed on it trying to get more juice down range.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Due to viz signature? How is it on throw? I understood that it wasn’t much different than a vampire so I passed on it trying to get more juice down range.
    Its not big on throw. But it won’t usually gate my tubes, and as you say, it has less vis signature vs a 850. I still think a laser/illuminator combo unit is the way, though.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Its not big on throw. But it won’t usually gate my tubes, and as you say, it has less vis signature vs a 850. I still think a laser/illuminator combo unit is the way, though.
    I hear you. I’m not a professional end user so I don’t have (legit) access to full power units and I can’t bring myself to spend MAWL money. So to me, this was the best bang for buck setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12