Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polling the Crew for My First (and Only) Shotgun

Feedback Score

Polling the Crew for My First (and Only) Shotgun

I had plans this year for some other projects- mainly a PCC, shorty AK, and a precision .223 bolt gun. However, it occurred to me that there's nothing there that I don't have covered another way- so it would just be for variety sake. But the lack of a shotgun in my safe is a bit of a glaring omission.

I would like to fix that, but it's going to be a bit of a "one and done" kind of thing. The majority of my time (and funds) goes to scoped rifles and pistols. I've basically narrowed it down to a Benelli M2 Field 21" or a Beretta 1301 Tactical. The dark horse budget is a Benelli SuperNova pump action. My planned use would be training courses, multi-gun matches, and a remote third chance of using it for hunting in some capacity. I plan to set it up with a small red dot sight.

I'm leaning towards the M2, as the 21" offers just a bit more tube capacity (with an extension) and a balance between "hunting style" and "tactical style" shotgunning.

What am I missing? Any arguments to sway me one way or another?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You missed the 1301 Comp if you are looking for a 21” barrel.

The Beretta has a much better “tactical” stock length than either Benelli and softer recoil.

I’m not a gamer myself but from what I understand a pump shotgun is just not competitive against a semi. So a pump depends on your game goals, or there being a pump only class.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    All I can say is that I have a 1301 and can't recommend it enough. For a more budget friendly option look at the Mossberg 940 Tactical. I took a shotgun class from Steve Fisher a couple of months ago and got to shoot his. It shot quite well. He said he's been impressed with how well they run, and that they run better than the 930 models.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd don't own either, but own an M4 and several other Beretta gas guns.

Of your choices, I'd go for the Beretta gas gun every time, over the intertia operated M2. You'll have better load cycling flexibility and it will be softer shooting. Beretta has perfected the gas operating system and the new one's are just as easy to clean as the intertia systems that may upchuck on some load choices.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Beretta 1301 is what I would suggest.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Easy, 1301 all day.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Easy, 1301 all day.

I also run a 1301 tactical and can't recommend it enough. Shoots any load you wanna run, and cycles fast.

Tits: I'm running the Esstac velcro shell holders so i can swap out new shell holders quickly, but i normally keep the spares in AR mag pouches on my plate carrier. I like that velcro chest rig though. Who makes that, if you don't mind my asking?

Feedback Score
    I also run a 1301 tactical and can't recommend it enough. Shoots any load you wanna run, and cycles fast.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Easy, 1301 all day.
    Tits: I'm running the Esstac velcro shell holders so i can swap out new shell holders quickly, but i normally keep the spares in AR mag pouches on my plate carrier. I like that velcro chest rig though. Who makes that, if you don't mind my asking?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

In addition to what has been posted, the 1301 is 2lbs lighter than the M4….

If choke tube interchangeably is a concern, make sure you select the right 1301. The pistol grip tactical does not have changeable chokes.

Feedback Score
    Not a shotgun enthusiast but every gun owner should have one shotgun. I succumbed and have had a 1301 tactical for the past few months. Fairly lightweight, 7+1, easy to pattern, so far no issues with multiple loads from several manufacturers. However, only about +/- 350 rds to date; and only tried #3 shot, 00 buck, slugs, and #6 shot. Really will only use 00 buckshot but wanted to try the others just for function and fun. So far, no malfunctions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast