Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparations before a build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoL98 View Post
    on AR-15's, if not already tapped, I tap the hole for the take-down pin detent & spring for 2-56 set screw. it's a very common mod. Some AR-15 lowers come with that mod.
    I think a 2-56 set screw is going to be too small for that hole. Are you sure you're not using a 4-40? I've seen some companies using a 6-32 even. I've been using a 4-40 for 30 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M90A1 View Post
    I think a 2-56 set screw is going to be too small for that hole. Are you sure you're not using a 4-40? I've seen some companies using a 6-32 even. I've been using a 4-40 for 30 years.
    @M90A1 you are absolutely right. I'll edit my above post. I went and eye-balled the tap that I used, and lo and behold, it is indeed 4-40.
    thanks for catching that. much appreciated.
    Last edited by rpoL98; 01-05-23 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    The 2 out of spec lowers ive had were a kac and a geissele. I check everything similar to the op, mainly because i do enjoy it. Its frankly surprising that a forum that in general thinks so highly of itself would do so little qc, but i suppose "its never been an issue before" is good enough for most.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My only objective is to see how fast I can get this friggin thing done and move on with my life. It's a chore, and I want it behind me as quickly as possible.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John mckimb View Post
    The 2 out of spec lowers ive had were a kac and a geissele. I check everything similar to the op, mainly because i do enjoy it. Its frankly surprising that a forum that in general thinks so highly of itself would do so little qc, but i suppose "its never been an issue before" is good enough for most.
    I never got the impression the forum members think highly of themselves, the impression I get is buy decent parts, shoot the piss out of the build, and avoid getting caught up in minutia. You buy decent parts 'cause upgrading cheap parts gets expensive.

End users should not be performing QC...

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-10-23 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I never got the impression the forum members think highly of themselves, the impression I get is buy decent parts, shoot the piss out of the build, and avoid getting caught up in minutia. You buy decent parts 'cause upgrading cheap parts gets expensive.

Andy
    This

Also why I won't buy a sig

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

Andy
    That is my point. I buy "decent parts" as stated above. I have had bad parts, out of spec parts and receivers from top tier companies. Everyone can produce a lemon. The most screwed up Complete lower receiver I had--bought brand new was an LMT. I have had other out of spec parts from top tier companies. It happens. So, I buy decent parts, but sometimes it is impossible to "shoot the piss out of the build" because of these bad parts from decent top tier companies.

Imagine my surprise when I built a stripped lower from a decent company with decent parts, but the front lugs were oversized to such an extent that you could not fit a top end to the lower. If you wanted to beat the hell out of the upper to try to get the upper lug to wedge into the lower maybe. That was a waste of time. I ended up completely stripping the lower and starting over with a different lower, that I measured and test fit multiple uppers before the build.

Perhaps our definition of performing QC is different. Anytime I buy a new gun, I inspect it. This includes looking down the barrel to make sure there isn't an obstruction. I generally clean and lube the gun before I fire it. This to me is just common sense and maybe some might consider it doing QC. I have to say I am a bit surprised by the responses. For instance, I am getting ready to build an upper. I have test fit the barrel to a few upper receivers and decided which one fit the best. I will check the headspace. I know most folks don't bother to check the HS. I will test fit the gas block etc. So far, knock on wood, I have never had an upper that I built, malfunction.

For me, I just believe in checking certain items and doing some basic safety checks before I build or shoot a new gun.

YMMV, Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My only objective is to see how fast I can get this friggin thing done and move on with my life. It's a chore, and I want it behind me as quickly as possible.
    This. The extra money for a non-gucci but good product pay themselves back in time.

I also get it done fast, so if something is oos, i find out asap with minimal time invested.

I used to do all the repairs to my own cars. I graduated from that, now its worth it for me to pay for it to be done... my free time is for doing what I want, not saving nickels.

For rifles, I know how they work. If its out of spec I need to find out asap and replace it. Inspecting 9 good parts for 1 bad is not a good use of time. Its more efficient to just go ham and find the 1 bad after the fact.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-11-23 at 21:33.

Feedback Score
    Dupe post
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-11-23 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    That is my point. I buy "decent parts" as stated above. I have had bad parts, out of spec parts and receivers from top tier companies. Everyone can produce a lemon. The most screwed up Complete lower receiver I had--bought brand new was an LMT. I have had other out of spec parts from top tier companies. It happens. So, I buy decent parts, but sometimes it is impossible to "shoot the piss out of the build" because of these bad parts from decent top tier companies.

Imagine my surprise when I built a stripped lower from a decent company with decent parts, but the front lugs were oversized to such an extent that you could not fit a top end to the lower. If you wanted to beat the hell out of the upper to try to get the upper lug to wedge into the lower maybe. That was a waste of time. I ended up completely stripping the lower and starting over with a different lower, that I measured and test fit multiple uppers before the build.

Perhaps our definition of performing QC is different. Anytime I buy a new gun, I inspect it. This includes looking down the barrel to make sure there isn't an obstruction. I generally clean and lube the gun before I fire it. This to me is just common sense and maybe some might consider it doing QC. I have to say I am a bit surprised by the responses. For instance, I am getting ready to build an upper. I have test fit the barrel to a few upper receivers and decided which one fit the best. I will check the headspace. I know most folks don't bother to check the HS. I will test fit the gas block etc. So far, knock on wood, I have never had an upper that I built, malfunction.

For me, I just believe in checking certain items and doing some basic safety checks before I build or shoot a new gun.

YMMV, Cheers, Steve
    For my own personal builds I follow a similar course of action but when I was building for a shop,I would reject parts and the boss would give them right back and say "make them work". You know you are working with crap when you get a case of lowers that are in a partial state of various part assembly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast