Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing the Surefire Millenium into the 21st Century

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Bringing the Surefire Millenium into the 21st Century

If you're like me, you probably have one or two of these lying around. The lights are tough (combat proven) but are about worthless nowadays with the incandescent lamp.

Malkoff makes a drop-in LED that's a decent option. It is about $40 and does a good job of making one of these old lights useful. Battery life is good enough and the lamp puts out something like 350 lumens. Decent but not great by current standards.

So I was curious about fitting a new modern Scout head to one of the old bodies. I talked to Gene Malkoff about this. Turns out he already makes a threaded adapter for the legacy Surefire shotgun forends that allow a Scout head to be used.

It was a completely simple manner to unscrew the old bulky Surefire head assembly and screw the adapter into the body. Now I can easily use a new Surefire head. Color doesn't match of course but that's not a big deal to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So why bother? Why not just get a new Scout? Well, because I already have the mount, tape switch, etc for the old Millenium. Plus why not?
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-04-18 at 10:38.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright. Weight measurements.

M951 light with Malkoff LED and batteries. No big clamp rail mount. 0.50 lbs

M951 body with Malkoff thread adapter and KM2 Surefire head with batteries. 0.34 lbs

Surefire M622V Scout assembly with ADM QD mount. 0.42 lbs

Two Surefire C123 batteries. 0.08 lbs.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This is legitimately badass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wonder why nobody has really done this before. There are several places selling LED replacement lamps but nobody I can find is selling a head adapter. Not for the Millenium lights anyway.

I know the old M95X and 96X lights aren't as common as they used to be. It wasn't that long ago that you could pick one up super cheap on Ebay. Still, I assume there are a ton of these old lights still floating around out there. They have either been stuck in a box and forgotten about or they are relegated to use on a spare/loaner gun.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Same.

The dual-thumbscrew Millenium lights are indestructible. Do you have a link to the Malkoff adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder why nobody has really done this before. There are several places selling LED replacement lamps but nobody I can find is selling a head adapter. Not for the Millenium lights anyway.

I know the old M95X and 96X lights aren't as common as they used to be. It wasn't that long ago that you could pick one up super cheap on Ebay. Still, I assume there are a ton of these old lights still floating around out there. They have either been stuck in a box and forgotten about or they are relegated to use on a spare/loaner gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Do you have a link to the Malkoff adapter?
    He doesn't show them on the website. At least not that I could find anywhere. Give Gene a call or an email and he'll get you set up.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you for posting this. I've been looking to increase the output on a few of these but even the upraded drop-ins are less than desirable. I've literally had a M951 run over by a truck and it's still going. They really are great lights.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I've been looking to increase the output on a few of these but even the upraded drop-ins are less than desirable. I've literally had a M951 run over by a truck and it's still going. They really are great lights.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Part of the reason I want to upgrade even though something like the Streamlight Pro TAC is less expensive.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That's cool.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    That's cool.
    I like it.

I'm hoping Malkoff will add the thread adapter to the website. Maybe sell it as a set with his E2 heads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast