Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which ACOG did I use in the Army?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    The Special Operations Peculiar Modifications (SOPMOD) ACOG would have been the TA01 with amber tritium lighting and back-up irons.
    I love that scope. Almost enough to buy another one.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    Yes, I’m certain you are correct. I wish I had taken pictures of my rifles then.

As a tangential question: this ACOG is correct for an M16, correct?

https://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon...e-w-ta51-mount
    I don't know for sure, but i think so.

I think between my son and me we probably have a half-dozen TA01Bs with the 30-cal drop reticle. 77s and M855A1 generally fly along the same reticle from 16- and 14.5-inch carbines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    Yes, I’m certain you are correct. I wish I had taken pictures of my rifles then.
    As a tangential question: this ACOG is correct for an M16, correct?
    https://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon...e-w-ta51-mount
    Thank you for your help.
    That is the TA31F. What you would want is the TA31RCO-A4. The difference is that they have different reticles. The -A4 model has the horizontal stadia lines whereas the base TA31F model does not.

As far as ACOGs that were are/were used with the M16A3/4, the following have been used:
    TA01NSN (Very early on)
    TA31F (Also very early on)
    TA31RCO-A4 (Most widely used)
    TA31RCO-M150 (Used primarily by Army Units)
    TA31USN-M855 (Used by US Navy & USMC units)

Hope this helps you.
    MA2
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I don't know for sure, but i think so.

I think between my son and me we probably have a half-dozen TA01Bs with the 30-cal drop reticle. 77s and M855A1 generally fly along the same reticle from 16- and 14.5-inch carbines.
    1/2 dozen, that is what I'm talking about. Love that ACOG !

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This is very much appreciated. With so many variants your guidance (and that of the other respondents) is very welcome, especially since this purchase basically amounts to me dropping a grand on an optic to satisfy nostalgia. I haven’t used one since that deployment as red dot sights + magnifiers and LVPOs have become my go-to optics. That said, it’ll be a satisfying challenge getting back on this particular horse.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That makes sense. We were trying two different COGs at my house the other day, and 3.5X vs 4X made a dramatic difference in picking up a target at 30-50 yards. 3.5 being much faster of course.
    You wouldn’t know because of your claimed lack of gayness and hipsterdom, but the cool thing about a good LPVO is dialing through all the magnification and seeing how different magnification feels. I’ve found 3x and 6x are two real sweet spots.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    You wouldn’t know because of your claimed lack of gayness and hipsterdom, but the cool thing about a good LPVO is dialing through all the magnification and seeing how different magnification feels. I’ve found 3x and 6x are two real sweet spots.
    I've tried the gayness a little. The scope I tried, the reticle shrank too much on low power and it irritated me.

In a pinch, I suppose you could get any option to work though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12