Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store loaded mags? I need a solution.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I keep a few loaded mags, but I don't store them all loaded. Personally, I just don't see the need. I don't plan for TEOTWAWKI fantasies, so a half dozen or so AR mags and a couple pistol mags should be enough to solve any immediate real-world problem I could possibly encounter...Either that or be enough to get me killed. If by some Christmas miracle society does come unwound for a prolonged period, I figure I'll have time to load a few more as needed. But you do you...

So, mags in storage get organized by type and stored in plastic tubs
    Loaded "go" mags are in GI ammo cans
    Loaded carry/HD mags are in the gun

I have some 556 and 762 stored on strippers, but most of it is just in cans in its original boxes. You can fit a bunch of 556 on strippers in a 50 cal can, though, and it takes like 3 seconds to load a mag with them.

For what it's worth, you can fit something like 30 loaded GI mags in a SAW Box...2 dozen if you use PMAGs.
    If you're really bougie, 10 GI mags fit perfectly in a Pelican 1200.
    Last edited by kerplode; 01-09-23 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat as kerplode.

My loaded mags are in pouches on kit or currently in their respective firearms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as kerplode.

My loaded mags are in pouches on kit or currently in their respective firearms.
    Same. I have a few extra loaded mags here and there. But most extra mags are not stored loaded.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I don't keep that many mags full all the time but I have a few dedicated GI cans and some bandoliers ready whenever needed. I keep my (pistol) range bag mags loaded 99% of the time. That's 8 Staccato mags and 8 PO-7 mags loaded. I have a GI can with 6 AR mags and 3 or 4 bandoliers with stripper clips and such on the ready. Most of my ammo is in GI cans either loose or in bandos. As stated, if anything really happens, I'll have time to load up some extra mags or maybe I won't & then it won't matter anyways.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    They're all over the place. I've got loaded mags on my belt setup, few different chest rigs, about a dozen in my training bag, some strategically laying around on shelves/dresser/counter tops and a few right next to my rifles. I've got a couple boxes and a laundry basket full of spares/replacements.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I guess there is loaded mags and ammo and just mags. Two discussions here. I’m kinda like Titsonritz too. Have them in go bags, 2 chest rigs etc for immediate response. Then storage for go and just overflow storage. Plenty of gear.

PB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Same. I have a few extra loaded mags here and there. But most extra mags are not stored loaded.
    Mags are a excellent way to store ammo. Try it!
    I tried to follow the science but it simply was not there. I then followed the money, thats where i found the science.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    Mags are a excellent way to store ammo. Try it!
    After that study was posted here on the spring tension diminishment, I tend to store only a portion of my mags loaded. And then I rotated them out every year or so.

Not that long term loaded mags won't work fine, but why not keep new mag springs fresh and strong?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    After that study was posted here on the spring tension diminishment, I tend to store only a portion of my mags loaded. And then I rotated them out every year or so.

Not that long term loaded mags won't work fine, but why not keep new mag springs fresh and strong?
    Generally it doesnt really matter if its loaded or not, Fresh springs will stay fresh for a while till the metal does work in then its going to stay that strength for a long time.
    Springs go out from constant use like bending a paper clip back and forth till it snaps.
    Thats why Im a fan of springco action springs, they stay stronger for longer.

I dont have it anymore but it was a picture of a brand new carbine spring, one thats been installed and one thats been used and there was an inch difference between the 3 and the one thats been used was causing many malfunctions.

Sure all different kind of springs but a spring is a spring in grand spring of things.

Forget where I read that, it was like 10 years ago at this point.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I keep only 6 mags fully loaded. Four ready mounted on my Spiritus Systems Micro Chest Rig and two ready stored with the rifle.

The rest sit and wait patiently empty in their AC50C Ammo Cans for their turn in the loaded rotation......
    Last edited by BobinNC; 01-11-23 at 11:49.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast