Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 Cal Revolver for 44th Birthday, Suggestions Requested

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You can usually always find great used Model 29's from the 70's for not a lot of money. People trade them in or consign them all the time.

So my recommendation, is to try to find a good condition, used, model 29, either 4 or 6 inches.

I paid around $600 for this one used and in great condition, the bore looks new.

I wouldn't bother with a special, you can shoot both out of a "real" 44 mag and why limit yourself to special only loads that are harder to find.

ETA: Oh, and you're a young punk!
    I second this. Smiths from the 70's and earlier are very nice revolvers. The magnums have recessed cylinders which is a nice touch and not done anymore. I bought a 1958 Model 29 no dash with coke bottle grips about 15 years ago. Great shooting gun, very accurate. Got no idea what it's worth now but the ones from the 70's and 80's are just as good if not better than the ones from the 50's and should be a lot cheaper. I'd buy a 70's pinned and recessed smith over a new one any day of the week.

BTW, that's a damn nice 4" @HKGuns
    Last edited by kirkland; 01-07-23 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    For a modern revolver, the S&W Model 29 or 629 would be my choice.

There are also some single-actions available if you want to spend less and still have a 44. Look up Sheriff's Model in 44-40. Faithful reproductions are under $600 new.
    I'm partial to my 629 V-Comp. I may eventually buy the lock delete kit but I kinda don't care enough to do that at the moment. The DA trigger pull is superlative.

BTW, does anyone else have a dozen or more N-frame grips sitting in a drawer...? I swear I have almost as many revolver grips as I do IWB holsters.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    If you want more a modern S&W the 629-4 is from the early 90's and would be the one I'd recommend. Its got all the good upgrades that the 70's gun don't have and none of the garbage that started with the -5.
    Unfortunately they are not cheap, I just saw a 4" dash 4 go for $800 on a local forum, the 6.5" "classic" goes for $1200 to $1500 which is the model I want to replace the one I bought new in 1994 but had to sell to pay for our daughters medical bills, I just don't want to pay that much.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You can usually always find great used Model 29's from the 70's for not a lot of money. People trade them in or consign them all the time.

So my recommendation, is to try to find a good condition, used, model 29, either 4 or 6 inches.

I paid around $600 for this one used and in great condition, the bore looks new.

I wouldn't bother with a special, you can shoot both out of a "real" 44 mag and why limit yourself to special only loads that are harder to find.

ETA: Oh, and you're a young punk!
    Great advice IMHO. I have bought most of my revos used. I would stick with S&W and Colt, hell its your 44th-GO FOR IT BIG. Be careful you will be 50 soon

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for your help and your wisdom with this decision. Thank you for the Birthday wishes. I appreciate it!
    I am torn between getting a more modern Model 69 or 29, or going all in on a Model 24.
    I would hate to buy a collectable example and then put wear on it, but then if I don’t buy one I would hate to regret it. I am watching a few on Gun Broker, as I really have no idea where else to find one. They basically start at $1,600 and go up. The reason I like Special vs. Magnum is really just for uniqueness.
    If I get a modern 44 Mag I will put the lock delete in, as I have had one of my revolvers lock on me at the range. It’s not hard and, for me, it is piece of mind. If I go modern I am looking at one of the 3 inch, or 2.75 inch models. I would basically only shoot Specials out of it.

Feedback Score
    I say, buy the M 24 and shoot it. They won't be making any more of those beautiful old P&R Smiths. Life is short brother.

Feedback Score
    New 6” Colt Anaconda!

Feedback Score
    I still say new Anaconda if you don't mind the 6 inch barrel.

You can mount an optic on it, as an option.

But one thing I want to note is you'll probably have to use Federal primers only for 100% ignition. This is common with these new Colts. I had one light strike in over 1k rounds from my New King Cobra with a CCI. But I went to reloading with Federal primers only with that gun already because the dents ot was making in CCI primers wasn't confidence inspiring.

Definitely consider that M24 or 69 if you want a smaller gun and only plan to fire Specials.

I prefer .44 Russian to .44 Special. They're shorter and a little more efficient when loading light. (200 gr @750 fps)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My .44 for my 44th was a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. Someday, I would like to send it to Bowen and have them convert it to a GP-44.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I'm in a similar scenario. I'm looking at the Ruger Redhawk. Normally, I'm a S&W Fan, but between the lock, S&W's reported QS issues and the Ruger's handload capability, I'm looking hard at the Redhawk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast