Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Marathon Military Watch fans out there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Any Marathon Military Watch fans out there?

My love affair with Marathon just got re-kindled when Pappabear took my watch in and had the battery replaced with a bunch of his watches.

I have a 2007 LGP (JSAR as it's now called). I normally just have a beater solar Gshock, but the last week I've enjoyed having a nice looking hunk of steel on my wrist!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not seen one in person, but I like chunky tool watches and would consider the brand. Teddy B is one of my go to YT channels for watches:

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm saving for a GSAR. Someone posted a photo of one on the watch thread here and I love it. It will be my next watch.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Not seen one in person, but I like chunky tool watches and would consider the brand. Teddy B is one of my go to YT channels for watches:
    Cool. I'll have to watch this at home later. There's no watch Chunkier than the LGP/JSAR. I joke that it's a Birthday Cake on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I'm saving for a GSAR. Someone posted a photo of one on the watch thread here and I love it. It will be my next watch.
    I can't comment much on the brand other than they look as good or better in person. Mine sat in a watch taco for years, but it's back up and I love it. I'd like to try an automatic, but I've not had good luck with autos in my reasonable price range in the past. (seiko black monster, etc)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have a GSAR. It's a great watch. It looks stunning in person on the stainless steel band. I've worn it diving dozens of times and it's held up great. The GSAR and MSAR are solid choices. The "jumbo" sizes are stupidly big.

Imho, do NOT buy a cheaper GPQ unless you want to treat it as a disposable. Do not buy anything that does not have a sapphire crystal as it will scratch up very fast.

The DOWN SIDE, is the cheap(er) T25 tritium tubes. Yes, they will still "glow" after 10-12 years, but barely. I've had mine for 15 years now and the watch is almost unreadable in complete darkness. They are the same tubes that luminox uses. If you are OK with this, it's an awesome watch. They should be using longer lasting T100 tubes like Ball and Isobrite use. That's my ONLY gripe.

I'm done with tritium tube watches now unless I buy one expecting it to be disposable when the tubes wear out. Personally, I'd spend less than $500 now on a cheaper one and toss it in 6-7 years after the 2nd battery dies out and the tubes start to dim.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    The "jumbo" sizes are stupidly big.
    That's what I like about them, although the weight is no joke. The prices on these watches, like everything, have gone up a lot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's what I like about them, although the weight is no joke. The prices on these watches, like everything, have gone up a lot.
    You have to be built like Arnold Schwarzenegger to wear a "jumbo". Good point though, the stainless watches with the stainless bracelets are SOLID pieces. Pictures do not do these things justice. The cost is up, but still less than 1/2 the prize of something like a Tudor Pelagos or BB 58.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Marathon GSAR is one of my favorite mechanical watches. I have the US Government face on mine, bought direct from County Comm in 2010 for $425 with the rubber band. Grabbed a US Seal bracelet and a dozen different NATO straps over the years. I dress it up with the link bracelet and roll with a NATO strap most days.

I’ve beat the heck out of this thing paddling, diving, swift water rescues, climbing, hunting, cutting wood, and the crystal is still immaculate. No scratches whatsoever. I do hit the band and the sides of the watch case with some scotchbrite every now and then to keep it looking clean. The bezel has a ding or two in it but that’s it.

Only issue I’ve had is while being pulled out of the security line in Beijing and being questioned for an unrelated matter (to the watch), the communist popo asked me if I was a U.S. Government agent due to the watch face. They went thru my BlackBerry, my laptop, the roll of machine drawings I had with me, everything. Lol. Shaved head, no facial hair, sport coat and slacks, and a USG watch isn’t a good combination in red China…especially when you have a Bic and cigars. They confiscated the Bic as they define lighters as explosives (on airplanes) which was the original reason I was pulled out of line to begin with.

But I digress. The marathon watches are solid. I’m currently hunting for the Black Anthracite GSAR at a reasonable price to round out my collection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang77 View Post
    Only issue I’ve had is while being pulled out of the security line in Beijing and being questioned for an unrelated matter (to the watch), the communist popo asked me if I was a U.S. Government agent due to the watch face. They went thru my BlackBerry, my laptop, the roll of machine drawings I had with me, everything. Lol. Shaved head, no facial hair, sport coat and slacks, and a USG watch isn’t a good combination in red China…especially when you have a Bic and cigars. They confiscated the Bic as they define lighters as explosives (on airplanes) which was the original reason I was pulled out of line to begin with.
    F-china. I am an international airline pilot and have been there a couple times. If I'm ever forced to go there, I completely sterilize myself of anything I might want to bring home, AND of anything that has my personal data on it. My personal phone even stays home for that trip.

If I am forced to travel to a communist crap hole, I wear a square G-Shock digital display that has the atomic updating with all of the time zones. Specifically a DW5000 1JF. It's even the Japanese local consumer model, so short of being a Caucasian, well weathered, All-American looking guy with a US passport... I don't "usually" get confused for doing anything else on the side, other than flying airplanes.

Back on Marathon... I really want an analog travel watch as I am disliking digital displays the older I get. Something light and quartz. I am REALLY leaning towards getting a navigator.

If you really want to pee on some people feelings around the globe, I am debating this version. If only it came in black. The sand color clashes with my uniform. Yes, I'll probably just go black in color with the sterile dial (no U.S.G. marking).

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Any Marathon Military Watch fans out there?

Absolutely. I've had two GSARS, a JDD, and Marathon Navigator. They're awesome watches.

Last edited by usmcvet; 01-09-23 at 23:22.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast