Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smedley Butler mini documentary

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I learned about this man from a quote retold by a woke video game youtuber who was a small arms repairman in the army.

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

― Smedley D. Butler, War is a Racket

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    I learned about this man from a quote retold by a woke video game youtuber who was a small arms repairman in the army.

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

― Smedley D. Butler, War is a Racket
    As posted, you can read his book for free: https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.pdf
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Folklore in my family is that Smedley is a distant cousin of mine. Amongst other things we share the same last name, same geographical location and my dad used to visit Smedley's son, Thomas, back in the day.
    The only evidence I've got to support any claim of being related though is just old letters from like the 1930's that mention a cousin "Smedley."
    Some guys I served with (Army) still call me "Smedley" as a nickname and it's flattering but I had never made any direct assertion that we're related. But, .. who knows?
    Anyway, this is a fairly recent picture I took of his headstone at what is presumably the Butler family plot near West Chester, Pa.
    A fairly humble looking marker and clearly continues to be visited on a regular basis.

Feedback Score
    That's the tragedy of noble and selfless men: to perform their heroic acts in service of the power hungry, who they hate when they come to know them, instead of the kind and innocent they imagine they serve.

That's the nature of hierarchal human behavior. The US' traditional founding culture is the best whack humanity has ever had at stifling the inevitable triumph of scheming tyrants, and even our founders knew it would only last until the tyrants weaseled a way through or around it. Another revolution to throw back the tyrants again was inevitable, I'm just afraid our children are too distracted and weak to even know what's happening.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another great vid on Butler. I have mentioned him and his book many times over the years, and his book is free for download with simple google search. No one can claim he didn't have the creds to have his opinions that war is a racket. His warnings, just as none other than Dwight Eisenhower - Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in WWII and POTUS - gave us "... a dire warning about what he described as a threat to democratic government. He called it the military-industrial complex" and others warned about, and ignored. Here we are now, as they warned us:

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Another great vid on Butler. I have mentioned him and his book many times over the years, and his book is free for download with simple google search. No one can claim he didn't have the creds to have his opinions that war is a racket. His warnings, just as none other than Dwight Eisenhower - Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in WWII and POTUS - gave us "... a dire warning about what he described as a threat to democratic government. He called it the military-industrial complex" and others warned about, and ignored. Here we are now, as they warned us:

I'm a fan of his ideas. Some of the isolationist aspects may be somewhat simplistic in today's complex global environment, but overall I love the warning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    I'm a fan of his ideas. Some of the isolationist aspects may be somewhat simplistic in today's complex global environment, but overall I love the warning.
    The events of the decades since his death would probably cause him to advocate limiting the
    Navy to within sight of the coast using only the naked eye.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12