Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I was wrong about “X” - a misconceptions thread

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Credentials are helpful and worthwhile, but they don't guarantee wisdom or ability, especially the ability to teach.

Variety is overrated when it comes to shooting. One thing that works really well for me is worth 5 things that are 'almost it.'

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i fell for the nickel boron too but my main issue was it tarnished really bad with suppressors and i feel like the one i had went to gas rings really fast. like 2000 rounds.

maybe the surface is just too hard for the rings?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I thought chrome lined barrels were inherently inaccurate
    (my 6920's said otherwise)

I thought most optics held zero just fine
    (lost count of the number of scopes that let me down)

I thought a brake was a big improvement over the A2 flash hider
    (great way to waste $100 and just make the gun more obnoxious)

I thought you couldn't shoot very accurately with a ghost ring sight.
    (until I tried it)

I thought I wouldn't like shooting an SKS
    (until I tried it)

I thought I would like shooting an AK
    (until I bought one)

I thought 55 gr M193 ammo was plenty accurate (ie not much to gain by going with the heavier stuff
    (until I realized 55 gr ammo was sort of 2+ MOA even in good guns, and tried heavier bullets and proved it to myself)
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 01-27-23 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    (1) I was wrong about LPVOs. I thought that, for my purposes (home defense), I wouldn’t need to engage targets outside 100m (if not 10m) so I was best served with a red dot. I assumed a red dot was faster and could be used even in unconventional shooting positions. I assumed an LPVO would be like other magnified optics I’ve used (fixed 4x and 10x in the Marines and 3-9x hunting) and I would be slowed down getting my eye positioned behind the scope. Then I tried a Trijicon TR24 and was blown away. Now I’m a believer.

(2) I thought I was a good shooter and didn’t have anything to learn from shooting “games” like IPSC and IDPA. I mean, I was an “expert” in the Marines and a “top gun” in law enforcement. I went to my first IDPA match and couldn’t believe anyone could shoot that fast and accurately. Worse, it was everyone but me who could. There was a lot I had to learn. That was pre 9-11, and I’m happy that since then a lot more cross-pollination has happened.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Something I learned in a previous life/job testing small arms for the military…

Compressed loads in 5.56mm after a bad feed is safe to shoot.

Of course, I made the head guy do it first before I would even think about it. It was M855A1 and we were testing the acceptance of the Gen 3 PMAGS and the new enhanced followers.

Feedback Score
    Hey Everyone
    I obviously don't post much but I sure have learned a lot from you guys.

My misconception was about the AR-15 in general.

I had never been around them until I bought one (Ruger AR-556). I got it before the Trump/Hellory election because I was afraid if she won AR's would be banned.

I took it home, cleaned and lubed it and went out and shot it. It was like a bolt from the blue hit me and I thought "THIS Is what I've been needing in my life!" To say I was hooked would be an understatement. The following week I bought a second then,within a month, I began building my first, then my second, third, fourth....

My bolt guns sit in the safe now. Even for deer hunting. I built a 6.5 Grendel that drops them like they've been hit with a freaking axe.

The AR-15 totally revolutionized my shooting and gun budget. Today I honestly have no idea how many magazines I own and I could probably scrounge up a fair amount of ammo if I had to.

I'm hooked for life!

Feedback Score
    The list would be long with me.

Recently: With my life experiences, I can jump on here and make an intellectually lazy post that still adds something of value to this community.

Older: One could no longer get by with 1 in 12 / M193.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post

I thought 55 gr M193 ammo was plenty accurate (ie not much to gain by going with the heavier stuff
    (until I realized 55 gr ammo was sort of 2+ MOA even in good guns, and tried heavier bullets and proved it to myself)
    whos 193 were you using

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123