Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying things that last

Feedback Score

Buying things that last

In the "What did you get for Christmas" thread I mentioned I got a new blankie ( Hudson Bay 8 point Woolrich). One of the reasons my mother gave that she purchased them for all of us is that they will outlast all of us if we take care of them. Kind of a cool thought behind a gift.

This got me thinking about what is really out on the market these days that you know you will buy one of and never have to replace it? I have come up with good furniture, watches, jewelry, and guns as all being potentially multigenerational goodness.

What other items are made anymore that can stand the test of time, while being used for their designed purpose? Is this possibly why those of us who dig guns tend to dig at least one or two other hobbies that have things that will last for more than one day past the manufacturers' warranty?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    A quality knife.

A good flashlight - Surefires are usually mentioned.

The crystal Scotch glass sitting next to my monitor leaps to mind.

I have heard the saying "Buy once, cry once." I usually follow it for purchases that I wish to pass on to my daughter and son.

Feedback Score
    I have done pretty well with Craftsman tools. Started my tool box with a set of 1/2" sockets in 1969 or so and they are still doing service as well as they were the day I bought them.

Still using a Victorinox Swiss knife that goes back to at least 1982 or so. It's been factory rebuilt once, may go back again someday. Couldn't survive without it.

M1 Garands and S&W M&P (aka Model 10) .38 Special revolvers.

Bausch & Lomb WWII Navy 7 X 50 binoculars.

Toyotas.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat Guano View Post
    I have done pretty well with Craftsman tools. Started my tool box with a set of 1/2" sockets in 1969 or so and they are still doing service as well as they were the day I bought them.
    +1 for Craftsman tools. My dad bought me a metal (powdercoated) toolbox for Christmas when I was 10 and inside it were a few screwdrivers and a socket set. I still have them, as well as many more. Still even have the toolbox. They have a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty, literally. I broke the tip of a flathead screwdriver once opening a can of paint and took it to Sears and showed it to the customer service guy. He said "go grab another one off the shelf" so I did and brought it back to the counter, expecting to have to fill out a form or something. But, much to my surprise, he said "alright, have a good one!".
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have heard the saying "Buy once, cry once."
    One of my favorite phrases.

Afghans (the blanket things), bags/briefcases, binoculars, firearms, jackets, knives, and watches all come to mind when talking about things that you can buy to last for generations.

One of the most overlooked hand-me-downs is a good book. Got a couple older ones I'm pretty protective over, and have every intention of handing down one day. Whatever happens with technology, there just isn't something that gives the proper feel of reading a good, old book.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

One of the most overlooked hand-me-downs is a good book. Got a couple older ones I'm pretty protective over, and have every intention of handing down one day. Whatever happens with technology, there just isn't something that gives the proper feel of reading a good, old book.

-B
    Interesting you mention that. It took me a couple of months, but I tracked down a mint first-edition of a 100-year-old book as a Christmas present this year. To say the recipient was thrilled would be to put it mildly.

Feedback Score
    Hudson Bay=Great gift

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    a good set of quality hand tool like MAC, Snap-on, or craftsman.
    Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets.
    George S. Patton

Feedback Score
    some good cookwear, like pots and pans and bowls etc... i have some of these ceramic coated bowls that were my great grandmothers, have been used every day since about 1920 somethin and they still look and perform all bowl type functions with 150% reliability!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yes, cookware is definitely an heirloom. I have some cast iron skillets and a dutch oven that are about 80 years old.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 12-27-08 at 09:00. Reason: bad spellur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast