Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA AR-10 Gen 3 with Criterion Barrel

Feedback Score

PSA AR-10 Gen 3 with Criterion Barrel

Hey guys so I bought a PSA AR-10 Gen 3 in .308 a few weeks ago when they were on sale. Amazing price for an AR-10. I was thinking about swapping the factory barrel for a one made by a reputable barrel manufacturer like Criterion to try to squeeze as much accuracy out of this rifle I can. This is my concern, is that I understand that sometimes different brands of parts for AR-10s do not always fit the same together because there is no “standard” across the board for parts for an AR-10. I think I had heard of someone using a Criterion barrel on a PSA AR-10 and he claimed amazing results. Has anyone here tried this combo out of a Criterion barrel on a PSA AR-10 Gen 3 and if so how did it work out for you? Any honest recommendations on if this can be done successfully and show actual improvement in accuracy? My PSA came with an adjustable gas block that I would put on the Criterion if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Have you shot it with the stock barrel? Not sure what accuracy level you're looking for, but my PSA AR10s were both sub-moa with factory ammo and the stock barrel. I had a PA10 in .308 and it grouped consistently around .75 MOA with the factory Federal 175gr GMM. I ended up selling it and getting a PA10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it groups slightly better.

So, unfortunately i don't have experience swapping to a criterion barrel, but i was pleased with the accuracy of the stock barrels with factory ammo. If you do swap barrels, i'd be curious to see your results!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Have you shot it with the stock barrel? Not sure what accuracy level you're looking for, but my PSA AR10s were both sub-moa with factory ammo and the stock barrel. I had a PA10 in .308 and it grouped consistently around .75 MOA with the factory Federal 175gr GMM. I ended up selling it and getting a PA10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it groups slightly better.

So, unfortunately i don't have experience swapping to a criterion barrel, but i was pleased with the accuracy of the stock barrels with factory ammo. If you do swap barrels, i'd be curious to see your results!
    No I have not shot it yet but I have a decent amount of that exact ammo saved up. Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain. It’s stupid accurate in my Remington 700 SPS Tactical, and I was hoping it would be a good shooter for this rifle. If it will group .75 MOA with this I’ll take that all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Why don’t you shoot it first to see how it does. Then if it is not up to your requirements, find a criterion barrel for it.

I have heard plenty of good things about criterion’s barrels.

Feedback Score
    I have a few Criterions on PSA PA10's, Gen II.

I also would suggest you try your OEM barrel , it might shoot to your expectations. And try some Hornady 155gr American Gunner.

I did all the easy tricks I could assm. them. Lap the upper receiver face , Loctite them in, and make the upper to lower fit tight.

I would do it all over again. IMHO, My results were outstanding, exceeding my expectations, with factory loads the barrels liked. ( IE it doesn't shoot everything great )

IM me if you'd like a link to the threads ( the "other" site )

Have you considered a nicer 2 stage trigger ? I don't know what trigger comes with your Gen III.... The OEM trigger can be easily improved, but a better 2 stage trigger sure makes shooting for groups "easier"

"If" you can afford it... maybe consider assm. another upper with the Criterion barrel ? Then you could see first hand'ish.... kinda.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I put a Criterion 20” chrome lined 1/10 M118LR barrel on my PA10. Fed GM 168 shoots one hole at 100. The 18” SS 1/10 PA barrel patterns around 3 or 4 MOA.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    I put a Criterion 20” chrome lined 1/10 M118LR barrel on my PA10. Fed GM 168 shoots one hole at 100. The 18” SS 1/10 PA barrel patterns around 3 or 4 MOA.
    So everything fit good with the Criterion barrel that you switched to? Reason why I asked is because I wanted to see if this combination would actually fit right since I know there is no universal standard for AR-10 parts. Did you keep the original PSA gas block and put it on the Criterion barrel? How is the rifle gassed now that you switched barrels?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    So everything fit good with the Criterion barrel that you switched to? Reason why I asked is because I wanted to see if this combination would actually fit right since I know there is no universal standard for AR-10 parts. Did you keep the original PSA gas block and put it on the Criterion barrel? How is the rifle gassed now that you switched barrels?
    I bought a gas block and rifle length gas tube from Criterion also.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    I bought a gas block and rifle length gas tube from Criterion also.
    Did you run the rifle suppressed at all too by chance?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The gas block isn't one of the items that causes problems with large frame AR-pattern rifles.

One of my most accurate large frame AR-pattern barrels is an old unlined 20" DPMS LR-308C that I free-floated with a LaRue extended gas block and DD Lite rail.

You may be very surprised at what the PSA will do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast