Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most reliable centerfire and up suppressed pistol?

Feedback Score

Most reliable centerfire and up suppressed pistol?

Oops. Messed up subject title, unable to fix.

I understand suppressors decrease reliability in general. Blow-back guns run better but I don't know of any centerfire blow-back guns that can mount an RDS so one can aim well.

I'm thinking of an HD pistol with a muffler and RDS.

Nothing rare or $4k specialty/ custom guns.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-10-23 at 20:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    HK USP 45T or 9T.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’ve been running a Surefire Ryder 9ti on a Glock 17.5 for 5 years and I don’t recall a malfunction.

Feedback Score
    I do have a Beretta M92GX Centurion.

I read 92's tend to do better than some suppressed, but it would need to be very reliable. I can't stand guns that choke.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    FN x. It’s a 45 but can take a can and RDS. I kinda want one. For $4K you could get any number of custom builds or milling jobs to your favorite handgun.
    Stacatto P DPO/DUO with thread barrel for the premium gun option. Hell you get get Nighthawk etc done as well. Lotta options at $4K.

Ron3 suggested a Beretta which is certainly an option.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It really only needs to be reliable enough for you to figure out how bad suppressing a pistol is. Outside of fun or some operating operationally fantasy it totally messes with the recoil impulse and makes it hard to shoot fast and well.

That said you can probably use whatever full sized pistol you currently have, if you can get a factory threaded barrel for it. Aftermarket barrels are way better than they used to be, but reliability of a factory barrel is almost never in question.

Feedback Score
    I will second the notion that a suppressed handgun, especially with a full-sized can, is mostly just a toy, and not something I'd want to use for home defense. The muzzle heaviness makes the gun return to target very differently to an unsuppressed gun, same thing with target transitions. It also makes the gun much longer in overall length, negating the potential advantage that a handgun has in being able to compress smaller, and being more usable in a clinch. The large shifts in POA/POI means that converting between suppressed and unsuppressed use is a hassle, so you'd likely have to just dedicate such a gun to the suppressed HD role. I would strongly suggest either suppressing a PCC if noise attenuation is a big concern, or else just use a suppressed rifle, compared to having a suppressed handgun.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys!

I'll skip it and focus on my PCC's / rifles.

Except for my Beretta 81's. I'm waiting on a threaded .32 acp barrel. For fun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For a suppressed pistol I’ve always been interested in a B&T TP9 because the suppressor doesn’t mount to the barrel.

But that’s way into exotic and expensive, and I have no idea how shootable it is as a pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    For a suppressed pistol I’ve always been interested in a B&T TP9 because the suppressor doesn’t mount to the barrel.

But that’s way into exotic and expensive, and I have no idea how shootable it is as a pistol.
    I've been told that the plastic mags are relatively fragile, and there are perennial complaints about how bad the trigger is. One high level shooter I know (GJM, he's occasionally on here) has stated that he shot his TP9 slower than his handguns, due to just how bad the trigger is.

Just back from the initial range session with the TP9. Mine is set up with the B&T collapsing brace, Tail Hook mod 1, Smith VFG. I plopped on an RMR in a MI a low mount, which was a good match, although I would prefer a Micro.

The TP9 was reliable with the 15 and 30 round magazine I tested. I shot AE 115, Lawman 124 and some 124 +P Gold Dot. POI was pretty close with all there loads. It recoiled more than the APC9 Pro and HK SP5K. The B&T/Tail Hook combo was compact and not uncomfortable. The factory sights are vestigial. Ergonomics are acceptable. It is significantly lower volume than the APC9 Pro. I liked the Smith VFG.

The trigger has long pre-travel, and then breaks around 9.5 pounds. For my wife and I, the trigger is a deal breaker, because it is twice the weight of our carry triggers. The weight makes it hard for us to transition back and forth between the TP9 and handgun, and precludes the fast shooting we can do with an APC9 Pro, SP5K or AR in .300 BLK.

Ballistically, 9mm out of the TP9 is the same as out of my EDC pistol. To justify the expense and complexity of carrying and deploying the TP9, it needs to allow me to shoot faster and more accurately than the pistol. The APC9 Pro does allow me to shooter faster and more accurately than my pistol, but I can shoot my pistol better than the TP9.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast