Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk about taking a bullet on Varget

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Talk about taking a bullet on Varget

We are desperately low on Varget and Powder Valley had Varget for $45 /lb. I closed my eyes and and started hitting the up button and it came to 12 lbs. Entered my CC # and took the blow. I told myself, if I buy more the hazmat fee per lb would be less and did every rationalization I could think of to take this bullet. I am bleeding but at least we have Varget and enough to load our new Tikka load and some ammo cans of 155TMK's and 175's we have for 308. Varget for 308 bolt gun ammo and use 4064 for our gasser.

It was a little easier to buy H1000 for high prices because 300WM cost $3.00 plus a round for our long range popping fodder. And 308 is half that price. It is what it is, HUH?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We are desperately low on Varget and Powder Valley had Varget for $45 /lb. I closed my eyes and and started hitting the up button and it came to 12 lbs. Entered my CC # and took the blow. I told myself, if I buy more the hazmat fee per lb would be less and did every rationalization I could think of to take this bullet. I am bleeding but at least we have Varget and enough to load our new Tikka load and some ammo cans of 155TMK's and 175's we have for 308. Varget for 308 bolt gun ammo and use 4064 for our gasser.

It was a little easier to buy H1000 for high prices because 300WM cost $3.00 plus a round for our long range popping fodder. And 308 is half that price. It is what it is, HUH?

PB
    I feel you brother. I bit the bullet on H4350 and some VV recently and have had to buy more blaster load powders the past couple years at non-blaster load prices. I don’t know quite what I’d pay for some XBR8208 right now, but it would probably be embarrassing.

Feedback Score
    I managed to pick up 10 lbs of XBR8208 in the last month. It came to $50.00 a lb with tax. Gives me a total of 21 1/2 lbs on hand.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktail 8541 View Post
    I managed to pick up 10 lbs of XBR8208 in the last month. It came to $50.00 a lb with tax. Gives me a total of 21 1/2 lbs on hand.
    Link?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Ah, yea it's got to be tough PB when you're the only guy putting in the order! My buddies & I put in a PV order a few weeks ago and we split everything about 8 ways, making it much easier to swallow for sure. I thought about Varget but still have about 7LBs of it so passed, LOL of all things, I grabbed 8LB of TAC, When all is said and done the TAC was around $240ish shipped with HAZ so around $30 a LB, bearable for sure. I also figured that Varget hopefully will come down some, but probably not, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm a BIG fan of American Reloading & another buddy had bought some MP540 demilled powder, it's supposed to be good for 308, so that's a pretty widespread area. I bought 16 lbs of it so yea I'm good on 308 powders. But after the fact when I was looking for info about it it turns out its very close to/similar to XBR8208 so did I luck out, we will see. But @ around $22 bucks a pound shipped if nothing else I have some good 308 powder for my M1a & probably my M1s https://americanreloading.com/ I Hate giving away my secret places, LOL but a lot of people know about these guys so stuff goes a lot quicker nowadays & prices are changing constantly so if ya see something, move fast. It also depends on how desperate are you & do ya really feel like working up new data for something that you will never find/buy again, I know these guys got me through the 1st Obama scare & shortages with pistol powder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My standard load for semis uses Varget, but I'm OK with having a low inventory of it right now. A local gun shop has 8 pound jugs of it pretty regularly for a bit over $300. so paying the same plus hazmat isn't gonna happen.

There are plenty of other options for standard range ammo, and I'm looking forward to finding a good load or two with BL-C(2) which PV has for $230. TAC, at $217 from PV is pretty tempting. I've never tried it for precision loads, but it works well for standard ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stolen elections have consequences.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    My standard load for semis uses Varget, but I'm OK with having a low inventory of it right now. A local gun shop has 8 pound jugs of it pretty regularly for a bit over $300. so paying the same plus hazmat isn't gonna happen.

There are plenty of other options for standard-range ammo, and I'm looking forward to finding a good load or two with BL-C(2) which PV has for $230. TAC, at $217 from PV is pretty tempting. I've never tried it for precision loads, but it works well for standard ammo.
    Yup, exactly, that's what I paid for the TAC, it was $217 plus the Haz & ship and like I say it worked out to about $30 a pound,,, almost normal, LOL Powder & primers are coming around for sure, even my local gun shop said he was getting powder in after the 1st of the year, I'll probably swing by on Saturday just to see what he has and for how much. Hell $300 for Varget local pick-up is a bargain now, buy it if ya need it. Times are tough but I'm hoping for more improvement as Spring rolls around.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I feel you on the XBR. Ironically, I almost grabbed H4350 today but was too busy getting beat up by the price of H1000.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The guy that started Powder Valley was a Rancher and USPSA/IDPA shooter. He held monthly matches at his place years back. PV is about an hour South of us.
    We'd call him and pick up orders while at the match. Easy.
    Now it's a pain to PU an order, and like everyone else- it's HazMat/Shipping AND Sales Tax. Last week an 8# Jug of WSF (Pistol Powder) was just shy of $300. I don't see prices ever being what they were pre-O.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast