Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk about taking a bullet on Varget

Feedback Score
    If you can find Vihtavuori N140 locally for a reasonable price, buy it. Same performance as Varget and meters better. And cleaner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Can't post a link to the XBR8208 as it was local pick up.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    If you can find Vihtavuori N140 locally for a reasonable price, buy it. Same performance as Varget and meters better. And cleaner!

That is good to know, I have seen that powder from time to time

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    VihtaVuori makes good powder.

It's kind of interesting to see how popular Varget has become. I haven't always been able to get it to perform well for me and only use it in a couple loads. I tried 8208XBR when it came out and wasn't all that popular back then. It has been extremely successful in several loads and calibers.

RL-15 has a similar burn rate as Varget, works well with 69-85 grain bullets in 223 in my experience. Some complain about variance from lot to lot, and temperature sensitivity, but I've had good success with it.

H4895 is also a good choice and is an extreme powder.

A friend swears by 4064 in 243 and 308, and I hear a lot of people praising 2520 in 223 lately.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    VihtaVuori makes good powder.

It's kind of interesting to see how popular Varget has become. I haven't always been able to get it to perform well for me and only use it in a couple loads. I tried 8208XBR when it came out and wasn't all that popular back then. It has been extremely successful in several loads and calibers.

RL-15 has a similar burn rate as Varget, works well with 69-85 grain bullets in 223 in my experience. Some complain about variance from lot to lot, and temperature sensitivity, but I've had good success with it.

H4895 is also a good choice and is an extreme powder.

A friend swears by 4064 in 243 and 308, and I hear a lot of people praising 2520 in 223 lately.
    Yea, Mark was talking about trying RL15 in place of Varget for our new pet load for the Tikka 88's. Between RL15 and NL140 just maybe we can shoot every weekend without choking on our ammo.

But until then :

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Well because I'm a freak/horder another buddy was putting in an order @ PV and asked the group if we needed/wanted anything, so after taking significant razzing and name-calling, I asked the buddy to grab a Shooters World Precision Rifle! Varget/IMR4064 & another TAC were all out of stock on the 8lb jugs so I got one of these coming. Actually, it costs more than Varget but for what it's worth the "reviews" say it's better than Varget, I guess time will tell. I'll keep ya posted guys.
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...ecision-rifle/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I've always been afraid to try VV powder for fear of becoming addicted to it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Well because I'm a freak/horder another buddy was putting in an order @ PV and asked the group if we needed/wanted anything, so after taking significant razzing and name-calling, I asked the buddy to grab a Shooters World Precision Rifle! Varget/IMR4064 & another TAC were all out of stock on the 8lb jugs so I got one of these coming. Actually, it costs more than Varget but for what it's worth the "reviews" say it's better than Varget, I guess time will tell. I'll keep ya posted guys.
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...ecision-rifle/
    I like it better than Varget, it meters better in my powder measure. I also grabbed my 8 pound keg from Powder Valley a year and a half ago for $217 + hazmat, shipping and tax. Just before everyone figured out how closely it mirrors Varget’s performance. Should have ordered two…

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndtimer View Post
    I like it better than Varget, it meters better in my powder measure. I also grabbed my 8-pound keg from Powder Valley a year and a half ago for $217 + hazmat, shipping, and tax. Just before everyone figured out how closely it mirrors Varget’s performance. Should have ordered two…
    Cool, that's good to hear! I have the newest Hornady book and there are several loadings listed in there, especially for markm's 88 ELDs,,, I'm looking forward to getting it next week and working up some loads. Also 308 info in there so it should be interesting. I still have about 6LBs of Varget so a side-by-side will be doable. Yea with tax/Haz/Ship it cost me $391,, not a stellar deal but in this day and age, I guess it's to be expected.

Feedback Score

Talk about taking a bullet on Varget

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've always been afraid to try VV powder for fear of becoming addicted to it.
    It’s pretty much all I use now. I don’t load or shoot nearly as much as y’all, but I like their powders for what I do.

I started using N320 and it burned a LOT cleaner than the Win231 I use for 9MM. I use N340 for .40, and 3N37 for 10MM and all XTP loads. Burns really clean…

Their web site it excellent for info:

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powders/

Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 01-19-23 at 22:14.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast