Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get out and shoot, ladies and gentlemen!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Slight thread drift……

I don’t know you from nothin, however if you ever need someone to talk to, please PM me here and I’ll do the best I can.

I wish you the best of luck, don’t let the depression beat you, never give up that fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    I got out and shot yesterday morning for the first time in several months. Its been very cold and snowy here the last few months and unfortunately have also been fighting depression for about a year now. Anyway, it's amazing how poorly I shot with handgun. It was rather discouraging to be honest especially given I have been a very decent pistol shot. Granted, I had barely shot this Beretta APX before, but I didn't do much better with my trusty VP9 either. Not sure if it was due to my lack of practice lately or my current mental health status or a combination of both. I ran some drills with my rifle as well and my times were good although not quite up to par to my usual self. I am going to try to get out there more consistently now (I used to be a high round count shooter) and start competing in 2-gun again with a local club I used to run with. We'll see.

I'm not giving up on this Beretta APX though since I like the ergonomics of it very much. The stock sights leave much to be desired, however, that's not an excuse as I flat out just sucked yesterday.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Jonnyt16, good on ya for getting out there.

As you can see, pistol skills are more perishable, as they're inherently more difficult to shoot well than rifles....which you already knew!

Dryfire the hell out of that APX, do your draws/presentations, reloads, malf clearing, draw and dryfire on a timer.....you'll be amazed. You probably know though!

I try to dryfire fairly regularly, but I think I'd do some pretty intensive dryfire before going live, if I had to wait that long to shoot.

Train, focus, let it drive you, get back into it.....and get back to working out as well, both those will help to drive depression away, methinks.

Good on ya for gettin' back on the horse!
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 02-02-23 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    @jonnyt16 I appreciated the transparency in your post about your shooting, most of all. Good reflection and reminder for me to get out more.
    On the other side of things, I’d be happy to go shoot some womp rats with you (if you get that, cool, if not…it’s a T16 Skyhopper reference). Otherwise shoot a message any time.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'd add the repetitive reminder; Dry Fire is your Friend- particularly when you don't/can't get to range as you'd prefer.
    I have a "Dot Torture" Drill sheet taped to my wall in office. EVERY morning I clear carry gun and run through entire Drill twice. Great for practicing Basics/Fundamentals.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I practice draws and dry fire on timers. It has helped greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'd add the repetitive reminder; Dry Fire is your Friend- particularly when you don't/can't get to range as you'd prefer.
    I have a "Dot Torture" Drill sheet taped to my wall in office. EVERY morning I clear carry gun and run through entire Drill twice. Great for practicing Basics/Fundamentals.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Now I need to get my 12 yo a setup for his next cam shoot.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have to say thank you to davidjinks, ViniVidivici, and JediGuy.

Ironically, a few days after my previous post I received some excellent news that I was hoping and praying to hear for over a year. All I can say is...God is good.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    All the time.

Glad to hear that!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    I have to say thank you to davidjinks, ViniVidivici, and JediGuy.

Ironically, a few days after my previous post I received some excellent news that I was hoping and praying to hear for over a year. All I can say is...God is good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12